Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carsten
Level 4

Impossible to release with these errors

When do we have a version that:

1) Works for restricted users on Windows XP

2) Works without repeating the installation without succeeding when other users log in

3) Includes an uninstall feature for customer who don't want the Update Manager installed

These errors make it impossible to release.

-cpede
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

You can make it so that Update Manager doesn't even install at all. That may solve #3 for you. Unless for some reason you want some people to have Update Manager and others to not have it.
0 Kudos
carsten
Level 4

No, not an option since I'm using the Starter Edition, and it must be installed.

But you are right, the solution is not to use IS Update Service. It is full of simple errors and just not mature enough to be sent to customers.

-cpede
0 Kudos
mhlavinka
Level 4

I have created my own merge module that addresses most of the common problems with installation and removal of the update service. I've been using it quite successfully for about 6 months now. It required some extra code in a deferred custom action as well as merge module creation.

I even gave this code and merge module to IS with full instructions and steps on how I integrated it into their product, offering them the rights to redistribute it. For some unknown reason, they aren't interested in a solution that solves about 90% of the ISUS installation/removal problems. They continue to stand by a product with these terrific flaws. My solution at least makes it a product that can be used commercially.

I've not looked at IS 4.x yet, but I don't think they've integrated these changes there either.

Michael
0 Kudos