cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Musu11
Level 2

Help Please

I'm having a small issue with Installshield Update Manager 4.50 and hope that someone can assist me.

This is the scenario:

Installshield is set to check for updates daily at a predefined time.

At that predefined time the notification pops up and indicates 10 updates
ready for download and installation.

I select the first one and download and install; the popup notification
window closes.

So far so good.

I go back to installshield and click on "Check for Updates Now" to
download and install the remaining 9 updates and insallshield reports that
there are no updates available.

The next day at the pre-defined time there is no notification. However, it appears that if there is a totally new update the notification pop up appears, but, the same thing happens again. I can install one update and then it reports that there are no more, however, initially it indicated that there were a number of them ready for download and install.

I would like to download and install the remaining updates but can't
access them.

Please help.
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

Musu11,

There are a couple of things at play here. First, the Update Manager has a timing mechanism to show it the updates only within that period. So that's why when you run it immediately following an install, it doesn't show anything. Second, unless the publisher set the updates for not being basketable, you could select multiple updates at first and install them all at once.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Musu11
Level 2

There are a couple of things at play here. First, the Update Manager has a timing mechanism to show it the updates only within that period. So that's why when you run it immediately following an install, it doesn't show anything. Second, unless the publisher set the updates for not being basketable, you could select multiple updates at first and install them all at once.

----------------------

Thanks for your response Kelly I really appreciate it.

Well I'm glad it wasn't something I was or wasn't doing.

I tried to select multiple updates, but, was not able to select more than one at a time - is there any other way besides the shift or control keys to do multiple selections?

I'm still unclear as to how to get Installshield to show all available updates, that it previously identified, so that I can download and install all of them.

Wouldn't it be nice if the notification window didn't close so that I could go back to it after the update. Or if there was a way (e.g., button to click) to show all available updates that could then be accessed for download and installation. After selecting the "Check for Updates" button the message could say "There are no updates available for the current period. If you would like to see all available updates please click here"

If there is no way to access the available updates then it may be better to uninstall update manager and manually update the software programs since update manager won't allow the programs that it monitors to manually update (I tried). This would be a bummer though as I like the concept of automatic notification.

Well I hope I missed something and that there is a way for me to get my software updated.

Please let me know and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sean
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Hi Sean,

Hope you can forgive the delay, but it's a holiday in the US...

Musu11 wrote:
I tried to select multiple updates, but, was not able to select more than one at a time - is there any other way besides the shift or control keys to do multiple selections?

I may be thinking about a different version, but you should be able to click the checkboxes of all the updates you'd like to install. If they must be installed separately, a javascript message would pop up. There's no need to shift- or control- click.

Musu11 wrote:

I'm still unclear as to how to get Installshield to show all available updates, that it previously identified, so that I can download and install all of them.

Wouldn't it be nice if the notification window didn't close so that I could go back to it after the update. Or if there was a way (e.g., button to click) to show all available updates that could then be accessed for download and installation. After selecting the "Check for Updates" button the message could say "There are no updates available for the current period. If you would like to see all available updates please click here"

Well, if the publisher doesn't set the "not basketable" flag, you would be able to just do that, multiple items checked. If you're checking for InstallShield X/11/12 updates, you may check that product's forum to see if it's been mentioned in there. I can't say that I've used it recently, but I'm pretty certain they use Help | Check for Updates in addition to Update Manager...

Musu11 wrote:

If there is no way to access the available updates then it may be better to uninstall update manager and manually update the software programs since update manager won't allow the programs that it monitors to manually update (I tried). This would be a bummer though as I like the concept of automatic notification.

Actually, Update Manager uses the same type of mechanisms as if a user went under Help | Check for Updates (assuming that the publisher added that menu item). So the Update Manager doesn't block the program from checking on its own, but can be used as an external trigger / display mechanism.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos