cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katsnelson
Level 5

Browser security settings prevent the proper operation of the Update Service

Many of our customers are running on Windows Server 2000 and 2003 machines. When they do a check for updates they get a message:
Your current browser security settings prevent the proper operation of the Update Service. The Update Service relies on ActiveX controls and Active Scripting, which are enabled under the default browser security settings.
I've experimented with adding http://updates.installshield.com/ to the "Trusted" Internet Explorer zone but it does nto help. What specific IE settings does one have to enable to get rid of this message?
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
freeverbier
Level 2

I have the same problem.

Have you find a solution ?

Thx
0 Kudos
katsnelson
Level 5

Unfortunately there is no solution at this point. I am pursuing with Macrovision through the normal support chanels.
0 Kudos
rsknowles
Level 4

If you would be so kind, please post what resolution if any is made available. I am sure I will encounter that same issue very soon.
0 Kudos
Doc_Orac
Level 4

I had the same problem,

Changed the registry directly, was the solution for me.
If anyone has a different sollution, i'm intrested ...

The solution is used:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\installshield.com]
"*"=dword:00000002
0 Kudos
katsnelson
Level 5

Are you saying that you changed the registry settings on your own machine or on each of the end-user machines?
0 Kudos
Doc_Orac
Level 4

katsnelson wrote:
Are you saying that you changed the registry settings on your own machine or on each of the end-user machines?
Own machine, because I had the same problem while using the Update Service.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Has anyone received an official response on this? I tried the registry hack but it didn't solve the problem.
0 Kudos
mtillman
Level 2

The problem appears to be with downloading and installing the Update Service Agent. For me, doing this manually fixed the problem. To do this:
1. If InstallShield is running, close it.
2. Go to the Update Service Downloads Page at
http://www.installshield.com/downloads/default.asp?pm=us&pver=All&gv=1&msxmlhidden=y&mt=All&Language=English&mode=submit
3. Download Update Service 4.5 SDK (installshieldupdateservicesdk.exe)
4. Run installshieldupdateservicesdk.exe.
5. Start InstallShield, choose Tools > Check for Updates…, and the error message should be gone.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

I'm not sure but ActiveX may be blocked completely on Server 2003. In general Internet Explorer is locked down extremely on Server 2003, as a security measure, and because Server operating system it is not intended to surf the web (according to Microsoft)
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
ou_brandi
Level 2

Problem:
Your current browser security settings prevent the proper operation of the Update Service. The Update Service relies on ActiveX controls and Active Scripting, which are enabled under the default browser security settings.

Solution:
Download and install installshieldupdateservicesdk.exe from http://download.webhostautomation.net/Helm/downloads/install/
This fixed the problem for me.

Good luck,
Brandi
0 Kudos