Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

AutoUpdate and critical updates

All:

I'm trying to call AutoUpdate in VB 6 from a non-interacting NT Service in the following manner:

GettingUpdates = oUpdate.AutoUpdate(AppUpdateID, True, 0)

The problem is, even with an update marked "Next Use" available, AutoUpdate always returns false. Yet when I do an interactive update check with AppUpdate like this:

oUpdate.AppUpdate AppUpdateID, AppMenu

I can see the update and run it just fine.

BTW I'm trying to run a silent MSP with the following switches:

REINSTALL="MainFeature" /qn /Lv c:\temp\Patch0101_0103.txt

Can anyone offer some guidance on what I should be looking for to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
(23) Replies
Paul_M_
Level 6

Can we change the product code for your app to the test product code and see if we can still enumerate messages correctly?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Okay I tested changing some of the update message settings where they were not the same as used in the sample app.

I found that when I changed the message status to "Active" from "Test" that the enumupdates method worked.

I'm running ISTest with the PIN set throughout this testing and as I mentioned before, the AppUpdate call in a GUI component of my project works fine every time.

The app that's calling enumupdates (and was original calling AutoUpdate) is a service that does not interact with the desktop and is running under a named account (not the system account).

Could that explain why a testing application didn't work? Does ISTest.exe only affect dekstop applications?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I think I just answered my own question.

I ran the service app on the desktop with ISTest running and the message type set to "Test"and it worked.

When I turned of test mode in ISTest, the app couldn't find updates.

So it would seem that ISTest only works with dekstop applications.

Does that sound right?
0 Kudos