Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

AutoUpdate and critical updates

All:

I'm trying to call AutoUpdate in VB 6 from a non-interacting NT Service in the following manner:

GettingUpdates = oUpdate.AutoUpdate(AppUpdateID, True, 0)

The problem is, even with an update marked "Next Use" available, AutoUpdate always returns false. Yet when I do an interactive update check with AppUpdate like this:

oUpdate.AppUpdate AppUpdateID, AppMenu

I can see the update and run it just fine.

BTW I'm trying to run a silent MSP with the following switches:

REINSTALL="MainFeature" /qn /Lv c:\temp\Patch0101_0103.txt

Can anyone offer some guidance on what I should be looking for to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
(23) Replies
Paul_M_
Level 6

I guess the best place to start would be checking the return value of the call to AutoUpdate. Can you check this and make sure that it did not return a failure?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Well, I guess that was my point when I said:
"The problem is, even with an update marked "Next Use" available, AutoUpdate always returns false."

Or is there some method of checking the result of the call other than the boolean return value of the method?

TIA
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

Sorry I missed that bit of information.
Would it be possible to use the Download Method? this is available only for the professional license but I want to see if this has the same problem or not. Please let me know if it does.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Unfortunately, I can't try the Download method because when I try to enumerate the updates I get a collection with 0 items.
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

What License do you have?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Self hosted (if that's what you mean)
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

I am attaching a sample I would like you to try. this will get the update and download. Please try this with your product code and see if this works or not.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Running that app gets me the attached error.
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

Can I have the address of the server and the product code? I would like to try checking for updates on my local machine.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Paul,

Check for a PM
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

I am not sure what you mean by Check for a PM. Can you clarify this for me.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Sorry:
I meant: Check for a Private Forum Message with the info you requested.
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

I used the http address you provided and I am not able to access this locally. Let's try a test. Can you create a new product code and software application update and get this message? Please let me know if you can do this or not.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I installed the sample app included with ISUS to the test machine.
Running the test app you provided yielded the same results.
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

Can you use your code to get updates for this particular product? Please let me know if this works or not.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

It worked.

I replaced the product code and ran my app's menu based update check and the unattended update check using enumpdates.

Both found the critical update for the ISUS Smaple App.
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

Now let's add a new critical update for the existing product and see if we can get this or not.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Adding a new cirtical update for the ISUS Sample App worked. The update was visible from the manual and unattended update processes.
0 Kudos
Paul_M_
Level 6

And now what about the old message?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I'm not sure which old message you mean.

However, the 1st critical message for the ISUS Sample App was also visible as I did not allow the update to be performed. I simply wanted to succesfuly enumerate the messages, which it did.

If you mean the message for the app I'm developing: I changed the product code back and ran the test again with the same result of no updates showing up.
0 Kudos