cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Information

The RightScale monitoring system shows that there are high CPU events but it is not being caused by one of the processes that is actually being monitored such as httpd or mysqld. How can I identify which process is causing the problem? This is easy enough to do if the instance is still running by running top, but what if the instance terminates because it is part of an autoscaling array or it is not accessible for some other reason? I need something like this for debugging purposes.

Answer

One way of doing this is to install a program on the instance itself that sends information on high process use to /var/log/messages. Since this is available from the Dashboard, even after the instance terminates, you can look to see what high cpu procesess were running. The following script is very simple and can be expanded. It wakes up every minute and checks the process list and any process that is using over 40% CPU will be logged in /var/log/messages. You can modify the sleep time and cpu threshold by modifying the script.

You will want to install this as a boot script on your instances. If you want to test it (you probably should) then use the included C program at the end. You can compile and run it and it will stress the CPU. This will allow you to run it on an instance and see that messages are getting logged. You will also be able to see the monitoring graphs at work.

Install the following script as an attachment to your boot script. You can create a text file and upload it. You can edit the attachment directly in the Dashboard as well if you need to modify the script:

ATTACHMENT TO SCRIPT (procwarn.txt):

#! /bin/bash
  while true
  do
   STRING=`ps -e -o pcpu= -o comm= | sort -k1 -n -r | more | head -1`
   CPU=`ps -e -o pcpu= -o comm= | sort -k1 -n -r | more | head -1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`
   CPU=${CPU%%.*}
   if [$CPU -gt 40]
   then
          logger -t ProcessWarning $STRING
   fi
   sleep 60
  done

BOOT SCRIPT:

#! /bin/bash
  cp $RS_ATTACH_DIR/procwarn.txt /root/procwarn

chmod 700 /root/procwarn
  /root/procwarn &

When this script runs, it installs the attachment script (procwarn.txt) as /root/procwarn and runs it. This will create a process that wakes up every minute and checks for any processes consuming more than 40% CPU and then logs it to /var/log/messages. It only prints the top process. Not all of them. It is used for identifying the single process consuming the most CPU.

To test, you can SSH into your instance and install and compile the following C program on your instance:

vi test.c

int main(){while (1);}

gcc test.c

./a.out &

You will now have an a.out process running that consumes enough CPU to trigger the warning. You can check your server instance in the Dashboard logs tab to see the process getting thrown.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Comments
raghuvaran_ram
By
Level 6

I'm facing a similar kind of issue, during the daily reconciliations task my DB server shows high CPU utilization for a certain time (2 to 5 minutes) and it automatically gets suppressed, this is creating a daily incident for us and I am also afraid this shout up will cause my DB server shutdown at any point of time.

I'm unable to find what tasks are executed when the CPU reaches high utilization, I have raised a case for the same and not getting enough response from the support this is now open for weeks.

so please let me know if there is any way to limit the CPU usage to below 80% to avoid alerting incidents.

your earliest reply is much appreciated.

@KPBussey @alexc 

Evieglover
By
Level 2

Hello, KPBussey  MyTHDHR

You can use the "top" command on Unix-like systems (like Linux) or "Task Manager" on Windows systems to find out which process is using the most CPU.

In Linux, open a terminal and type "top". The display shows processes sorted by CPU usage, with the most CPU-intensive processes at the top.

In Windows, open Task Manager (you can do this by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc), go to the "Processes" tab, and sort by CPU to see the processes using the most CPU.

Version history
Last update:
‎May 30, 2019 12:16 PM
Updated by: