cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two App Broker Environments Using Single SCCM

A customer is looking to implement both a dev and prod App Broker instance and currently only has one SCCM environment to point them both to. I'm sure that if they were to go this route there should be some best practices to take into consideration to help easily identify what is dev and what is prod in SCCM, but for now I'm just wondering if this is technically possible? I don't see anything about the web service that's installed on the SCCM server that would limit it to a single App Broker instance, but am I wrong about that or is there another limitation that would prevent one SCCM instance from connecting with two App Broker instances? 

(1) Solution

This is not a best practice (i.e. it's better to stand up a simple second SCCM instance even if it doesn't mimic production SCCM), but it can be done.  You will need to make sure the catalog titles are unique in each App Broker instance to avoid potential collection and deployment naming conflicts.  We generally recommend pre-fixing the catalog titles in your DEV environment with "DEV-" (e.g. DEV-Adobe Acrobat DC).  Then in production you would not use a prefix (e.g. Adobe Acrobat DC).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

This is not a best practice (i.e. it's better to stand up a simple second SCCM instance even if it doesn't mimic production SCCM), but it can be done.  You will need to make sure the catalog titles are unique in each App Broker instance to avoid potential collection and deployment naming conflicts.  We generally recommend pre-fixing the catalog titles in your DEV environment with "DEV-" (e.g. DEV-Adobe Acrobat DC).  Then in production you would not use a prefix (e.g. Adobe Acrobat DC).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".