cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt for approval based on targeted computer's OU

Hello!

At our agency, we use App Portal... strangely. We have about 15 people that can request software for the entire agency of 2000+ machines. I notice that a lot of the approval/workflow settings are based on a company that lets a large number of people order software, as I suppose it was originally intended.

My question is, is it possible to have a piece of software NOT require approval when it is sent to a computer in the AD OU of, let's say, IT; but, it WOULD require approval when it was sent to the mailroom or executive OU? We'd like some of our IT tools to be easily requested for IT without approval, but require approval when being sent to people outside our division.

Thank you!

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
You should be able to exclude the IT OU from the approval process, by opening your catalog item, and going to the approval tab.. Under this tab, you can define an OU condition which "excludes" a particular OU from the approval process. Those users who are in the excluded OU should not have to go through the approval process. I don't believe that there is a way to exclude devices in a particular OU. It is users in the OU would would be excluded from the approval process. With regards to approvals, the device is generally not considered when evaluating conditions. Visibility and category security should allow you define conditions based on the device..

Thanks
Charles

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
You should be able to exclude the IT OU from the approval process, by opening your catalog item, and going to the approval tab.. Under this tab, you can define an OU condition which "excludes" a particular OU from the approval process. Those users who are in the excluded OU should not have to go through the approval process. I don't believe that there is a way to exclude devices in a particular OU. It is users in the OU would would be excluded from the approval process. With regards to approvals, the device is generally not considered when evaluating conditions. Visibility and category security should allow you define conditions based on the device..

Thanks
Charles

Also note that when doing a request on behalf of someone else, you will have the option to choose whether to use the target user's approval process or your own approval process during the checkout.  Make sure you select the correct one (I believe it should default to the target user, which I think aligns to what you're looking for).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".