cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing Request on Behalf in ServiceNow

With App Broker and using ServiceNow as the front end, are there any requirements for user accounts in either tool to be able to perform ROB? I know that Catalog Items themselves need to be enabled for ROB, but how are users given the ability to do this in ServiceNow?

(1) Solution

There is no formal support for ROB in our ServiceNow integration.  You can sort of make it work with some modifications to the checkout process in ServiceNow, but the REST endpoint that ServiceNow calls in App Broker doesn't know that it's an ROB request.  In App Broker, the request will show as if it had been requested by the target user (and for the target user).  The only way you would know it is an ROB request is to look at the request in ServiceNow.  As far as how you would limit this capability, you'd have to ask a ServiceNow developer.  You'd likely need some combination of entitlement scripts and/or client UI scripts, but I have no idea how that would actually be implemented.  Every implementation I've done where they configured ROB in ServiceNow, they didn't limit it to specific users.  Anyone could request for anyone else, and the control was handled in the approval process (i.e. the manager would get the request and say "what the heck are you doing?" and simply reject it if the requester shouldn't be requesting something for that target user).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

There is no formal support for ROB in our ServiceNow integration.  You can sort of make it work with some modifications to the checkout process in ServiceNow, but the REST endpoint that ServiceNow calls in App Broker doesn't know that it's an ROB request.  In App Broker, the request will show as if it had been requested by the target user (and for the target user).  The only way you would know it is an ROB request is to look at the request in ServiceNow.  As far as how you would limit this capability, you'd have to ask a ServiceNow developer.  You'd likely need some combination of entitlement scripts and/or client UI scripts, but I have no idea how that would actually be implemented.  Every implementation I've done where they configured ROB in ServiceNow, they didn't limit it to specific users.  Anyone could request for anyone else, and the control was handled in the approval process (i.e. the manager would get the request and say "what the heck are you doing?" and simply reject it if the requester shouldn't be requesting something for that target user).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".