cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyApp Reclamation Error for MSDTC not being enabled

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

@jdempsey @CharlesW I was hoping you could help with the following errors I'm receiving. I have installed the hotfix that Charles provided for the field "has uninstall program" and it solved that issue, but when the scheduled task runs to process alerts I get the errors in the enclosed text documents.

Essentially it appears that enabling MSDTC - Network Access is a requirement on both the server and client sides for the MyApps feature to complete the uninstall process. I don't see this documented in the App Portal documentation. Is there any official documentation for this. I anticipate needing to provide vendor documentation to the security team before pushing this change organization wide. Additionally I'd like to know what exact settings of MSDTC need to be enabled  i.e. client inbound/outbound, allow remote clients, allow remote administration, etc.

Thanks in advance. 

(1) Solution

Yes, upon closer inspection, it appears that the hotfix I provided also has a code change which required MSDTC to be enabled.. The issue you were originally trying to fix, where has uninstall program was always reporting false, is only a UI issue, rather than an an issue which will prevent alerts from being reclaimed correctly.. As such, one option is to revert the hotfix I delivered.. Another option is to enable MSDTC, which works, but is cumbersome.. You can do this by performing the steps in the following article:

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/1233146/Working-with-MSDTC

Otherwise, you'd need to upgrade to 2020 R1, and apply a hottfix which eliminates the need for MSDTC to be enabled.. There is no hotfix for this against 2018R1, and it is not likely that one could be provided...

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

That's interesting.  I noticed this MSDTC issue and reported it on behalf of another customer recently.  When Engineering provided a hotfix (for 2020 R1), they mentioned this issue was caused by another fix they had made recently.  Apparently the hotfix Charlie just provided you must have been the one that introduced the MSDTC issue.  I'm not sure if they have a 2018 R1 version of the fix I just received, but you'll need to run that through a support case to get something delivered.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

@jdempsey Thanks for the info. I'll open a support case.

Yes, upon closer inspection, it appears that the hotfix I provided also has a code change which required MSDTC to be enabled.. The issue you were originally trying to fix, where has uninstall program was always reporting false, is only a UI issue, rather than an an issue which will prevent alerts from being reclaimed correctly.. As such, one option is to revert the hotfix I delivered.. Another option is to enable MSDTC, which works, but is cumbersome.. You can do this by performing the steps in the following article:

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/1233146/Working-with-MSDTC

Otherwise, you'd need to upgrade to 2020 R1, and apply a hottfix which eliminates the need for MSDTC to be enabled.. There is no hotfix for this against 2018R1, and it is not likely that one could be provided...

Thanks @CharlesW I appreciate your input on this. 

@CharlesW Just to confirm. If I roll back to the hotfix for 2018 R1 "Has uninstall program" the field will show false regardless of the state of an uninstall package, but the reclamation campaign should successfully run?

As an FYI, I did find a "stripped down" version of the hotfix, which only fixes the "has uninstall" issue, without making any additional changes.. I'll follow up with this in the support case you had opened.. in the meantime, revert the most recent cumulative hotfix I had sent.