cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Allocation with O365

I'm looking for some insight on specifically how the App Broker/O365 integration works. I know that it creates user accounts in O365 upon request, but does it handle anything in regards to license allocation? If not, is there a way with App Broker to allocate licenses to users that request O365 applications? 

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Looking at the O365 wrapper web service (in web/ws/SaaSIntegration.asmx) I do see where the O365 implementation does take a cloud variable named skuid and assign this license to the newly created user.. I've not actually tested the O365 cloud catalog item (I've used the Box one), nor do I know of anybody who is using it.. It looks like that is about the extent of the functionally.. Namely, create a user, and associate the specified license to this user.. In the long run, you might just be better off creating a powershell to do what you need it to do, and then add this powershell as a command action to a general catalog item.. Just my two cents..

The following Microsoft document looks like it might be helpful: Manage Microsoft 365 with PowerShell

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Looking at the O365 wrapper web service (in web/ws/SaaSIntegration.asmx) I do see where the O365 implementation does take a cloud variable named skuid and assign this license to the newly created user.. I've not actually tested the O365 cloud catalog item (I've used the Box one), nor do I know of anybody who is using it.. It looks like that is about the extent of the functionally.. Namely, create a user, and associate the specified license to this user.. In the long run, you might just be better off creating a powershell to do what you need it to do, and then add this powershell as a command action to a general catalog item.. Just my two cents..

The following Microsoft document looks like it might be helpful: Manage Microsoft 365 with PowerShell

Thank Charles,

Just to follow up a bit here - if choosing not to use Powershell scripts to perform this functionality, can App Broker help to add functionality for O365 accounts that already exist, or can it only create new accounts? Basically just looking for an answer to the post here -

https://community.flexera.com/t5/App-Broker-Forum/O365-integration/td-p/91314 

O365 does allow Azure AD group-based license assignments.  If you have Azure AD syncing with on-prem AD, you could use App Portal's ability to add users to an AD group to assign them to the appropriate group that already has the corresponding O365 license assigned to it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/licensing-groups-assign

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".