cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to see all "Closed Incomplete" items where App Broker install failed?

Customer has an App Broker with ServiceNow integration and they are getting a lot of "Software Install has Failed" messages which leads to App Broker marking the item as "Closed Incomplete". Customer would like to see all "Closed Incomplete" items without going through all of them individually. Is there a report they can run to see all of these and save time?

(1) Solution

Take a look at the SLA Dashboard in the App Broker admin UI.

Documentation reference here: https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/appportal2019r1/default.htm#helplibrary/SLA_Dashboard.htm

Set the start and end dates as desired and click Apply.  Then click on the Failed Deployments "card".  This will produce a report showing all of the failed deployments during the designated time frame, and you should be able to export that to Excel/PDF.

I guess I should amend this slightly.  There might be other reasons requests in ServiceNow could get marked as Closed Incomplete without ever being sent to App Broker, but I'm not sure.  For example, if the workflow validation steps fail or if the request is rejected by an approver, that may also end up as Closed Incomplete within ServiceNow (although maybe they get a different status).  In any case, the report in App Broker will only show requests that actually got submitted to App Broker from ServiceNow (i.e. workflow passed all prior steps and reached the Submit Order step), so if you need a full list of Closed Incomplete requests, you would need to run that report in ServiceNow.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

Take a look at the SLA Dashboard in the App Broker admin UI.

Documentation reference here: https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/appportal2019r1/default.htm#helplibrary/SLA_Dashboard.htm

Set the start and end dates as desired and click Apply.  Then click on the Failed Deployments "card".  This will produce a report showing all of the failed deployments during the designated time frame, and you should be able to export that to Excel/PDF.

I guess I should amend this slightly.  There might be other reasons requests in ServiceNow could get marked as Closed Incomplete without ever being sent to App Broker, but I'm not sure.  For example, if the workflow validation steps fail or if the request is rejected by an approver, that may also end up as Closed Incomplete within ServiceNow (although maybe they get a different status).  In any case, the report in App Broker will only show requests that actually got submitted to App Broker from ServiceNow (i.e. workflow passed all prior steps and reached the Submit Order step), so if you need a full list of Closed Incomplete requests, you would need to run that report in ServiceNow.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

The customer and I have a follow up question on this - is there a way to get a notification sent for Closed Incomplete items when they happen?  As of right now there is no notification which really slows down the process of addressing them.

Under deployment->global for your catalog items, make sure that "send failure email?" is selected. In addition, under settings-email, make sure that you have user and/or requester selected for "send install failure email". This should cause an email to be sent when a deployment fails.

Note: if this works as desired, then you can set the "send failure email" flag for all software catalog items by running the following query against the App Portal DB:

update wd_webpackages set Failure = 1 where type in (0,4,15)

Thanks
Charles

Thanks Charles. One more question -  Is there a way to change the behavior in Apportal not to close the RITM Incomplete?

@a_cutler2 wrote:

Thanks Charles. One more question -  Is there a way to change the behavior in Apportal not to close the RITM Incomplete?

I'm assuming you could remove the settings in the ServiceNow settings for App Broker that update the RITM status (which would then likely show errors in your logs).  But what problem would this solve?  If the RITM remains open indefinitely, how would you know there's a problem and be able to react to it?

Charlie's response assumes App Broker is sending emails vs. ServiceNow sending emails and that you only care about failed installs.  As I mentioned in my other post, there are things that could cause the request in ServiceNow to be marked as Closed Incomplete without ever getting to App Broker.  If you're looking for notifications for all Closed Incomplete requests within ServiceNow, you'd need to set that up in the Request workflow within ServiceNow.