cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase note character limit for adding a note to a request

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Is it possible to increase the character limit for notes added to a request?

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

To be perfectly honest, I was not aware that there was a limit.. The "note" column in the WD_RequestNotes table is an nvarchar(max), so we are not really limited there (or you are limited to about 2GB :)) I did not try that hard, but I just randomly added some stuff to the notes for the request, and I did not see any type of message stating that the note was to long.. How much text are you adding, and what behavior do you see?

I replied to a similar question on an internal forum recently...

The note field itself is stored as nvarchar(max) in the database, so it can hold a lot of data (includes HTML formatting tags).  The issue is with the UI limits placed on input and display.  Changing these is non-trivial and really needs to be an enhancement request submitted through the Ideas portal on the Community.
It's been about 5 years, but from memory, I think I determined the display limit to be about 150 characters (including HTML formatting tags, so not much actual text content) before the remainder gets truncated and replaced with "...".  From an input perspective, I believe it is a single line text entry field, but you can still enter a lot of text.  It just has to be on a single line.  It cannot contain non-printable characters like tabs, carriage returns, and line feeds, unless you escape them or enter them as HTML tags (e.g. </br> will insert a line break when displayed).
Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".