cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam_cutler
Level 7

Importing cost from a procurement system

Jump to solution

A customer would like to know if it's possible to import the license cost information into App Broker from a Coupa punch out. My initial thought is that there's no OOTB solution to do that, but wanted to check if there's anything I may be missing? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jdempsey
Moderator Moderator
Moderator

As Charlie states, there is nothing OOTB, but I just implemented this for a customer in the last few months (they were pulling cost data from SAP, but the same solution concept would apply to Coupa).  We added a custom variable to each catalog item that contains the catalog ID from the source catalog (in your case, Coupa ID).  Then I wrote a PowerShell script that runs as a scheduled task to match the source catalog data to the App Broker catalog items and update the cost in WD_WebPackages.  Ideally, this would be querying the source data directly via API's or some kind of ODBC connection.  Keep in mind that the cost will only be as current as the schedule on the scheduled task.  Also, you'll need to figure out what to do in error cases like when the catalog item in App Broker doesn't have the custom variable defined or when the value doesn't match anything in the source catalog.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

This thread has been automatically locked due to inactivity.

To continue the discussion, please start a new thread.

2 Replies
CharlesW
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

No, there is definitely not any OOTB solution for this. In theory, it could probably be done... You'd need to call into Coupa to get the costs.. You'd then need to figure out how to match up the cost from Coupa with the appropriate catalog item in WD_Webpackages. You would then need to update the CatalogCost column with the cost from Coupa.

jdempsey
Moderator Moderator
Moderator

As Charlie states, there is nothing OOTB, but I just implemented this for a customer in the last few months (they were pulling cost data from SAP, but the same solution concept would apply to Coupa).  We added a custom variable to each catalog item that contains the catalog ID from the source catalog (in your case, Coupa ID).  Then I wrote a PowerShell script that runs as a scheduled task to match the source catalog data to the App Broker catalog items and update the cost in WD_WebPackages.  Ideally, this would be querying the source data directly via API's or some kind of ODBC connection.  Keep in mind that the cost will only be as current as the schedule on the scheduled task.  Also, you'll need to figure out what to do in error cases like when the catalog item in App Broker doesn't have the custom variable defined or when the value doesn't match anything in the source catalog.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".