cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon Files from Technopedia?

A customer is looking into how to best source the icon files for their App Broker catalog items, as their SCCM isn't a good source and the suggested practice of Googling them individually will take a lot of time - is it possible to get these icon files from Technopedia and insert them into App Broker using the bulk import csv/script? 

(2) Solutions

I had the same issue & was told the same thing to pull the file from Google since AppPortal cannot interpret the icon image in an EXE (like SCCM). I found a product called "Quick2Ico" (Edit:  Quick_Any2Ico) that will extract the icon from an EXE to a PNG which can be imported into AppPortal. There is also a command line interface to do bulk transitions. It worked great for me.

View solution in original post

When I search for Quick2Ico, Google doesn't seem to find anything.  But I've been using (and recommending) IconViewer, which does the same thing.  Since you should be testing all of your software installations before publishing them to App Portal anyway, you can just install IconViewer on your test machine.  After you deploy the software, you can find the EXE (or a related DLL) and extract the icon directly from there.  I recommend saving the highest resolution icon (at least 80px by 80px, which is what App Portal resizes to) with the highest color depth as a PNG with transparency for best results.  The benefits of this approach are that you get the exact same icon users will see after installing the product, and it is guaranteed to be square dimensions, so you won't get weird, stretchy distortion when the image is displayed in the catalog.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

I had the same issue & was told the same thing to pull the file from Google since AppPortal cannot interpret the icon image in an EXE (like SCCM). I found a product called "Quick2Ico" (Edit:  Quick_Any2Ico) that will extract the icon from an EXE to a PNG which can be imported into AppPortal. There is also a command line interface to do bulk transitions. It worked great for me.

When I search for Quick2Ico, Google doesn't seem to find anything.  But I've been using (and recommending) IconViewer, which does the same thing.  Since you should be testing all of your software installations before publishing them to App Portal anyway, you can just install IconViewer on your test machine.  After you deploy the software, you can find the EXE (or a related DLL) and extract the icon directly from there.  I recommend saving the highest resolution icon (at least 80px by 80px, which is what App Portal resizes to) with the highest color depth as a PNG with transparency for best results.  The benefits of this approach are that you get the exact same icon users will see after installing the product, and it is guaranteed to be square dimensions, so you won't get weird, stretchy distortion when the image is displayed in the catalog.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Ah, I just found Quick_Any2Ico, which I'm guessing is what @epaul020 was referencing.  I like it!  It can be run from anywhere without having to be installed and has some nice extra features.  Great find, @epaul020!