cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Notification Not Going Out

Trying to test the email that users receive when they have applications that are about to be reclaimed, I have included a collection of test machines and have successfully added those machines to the WD_MyAppsAlert table. Everything is working as far as reclamation goes except the email isn't being sent. It doesn't show up in the Email Logs in App Broker and users state they are not receiving the email.  The Enable Email Notifications checkbox is checked under the catalog itm - FlexNet Manager Suite tab - License Reclamation, and sending out the emails has worked in the past. I've tried resetting the ESD Service and resetting iis. Are there any steps I could be missing here? I'm running the Send out My Apps Email Notifications scheduled task manually to kick off this process. 

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The settings under the license reclamation tab for the catalog item have no bearing on My Apps.. The reclamation campaign settings for each policy under Compliance Management->My Apps determine if a notification will be sent out... The "App Portal - Send out My Apps Email Notifications" scheduled task is responsible for sending out the actual notifications.. It sounds as if you are invoking this, but the notifications are still not being sent.. As such, I can only assume that the devices in question (the targets for the alert) do not have a user associated with them. Query vUsercomputerMap to see if the target devices have users associated with them, and obliviously, that the users have email addresses. Take a look at the log file named MyAppsNotificationEMails.log (under the logs/MyApps folder). Typically, this would be the log to look at if notifications are not being sent.

One other thing..  You also need to enable notifications by selecting "Enable My Apps Email Notifications" under Settings->Flexera Integration, as seen below:

NotificationsSetting.png

View solution in original post

(8) Replies

Can you check your scheduled tasks to see what user account context they're running under?  In older releases, this used to get configured to SYSTEM, but it needs to be configured to run under the context of the App Portal service account.

...actually, I see that you're configuring the "legacy" reclamation settings on your catalog items (don't do that).  These are separate from the My Apps license reclamation, which is what those scheduled tasks drive.  You need to look at your policy settings under Compliance Management > My Apps.  (https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/appportal2019r1/default.htm#helplibrary/AP_MyAppsLicenseReclaim.htm)

Under that section of the admin UI, make sure that you've added one or more Flexera ID's (ARL's), that you've properly configured the policy (number of days, notify the user, auto-reclaim if no response, etc. - https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/appportal2019r1/default.htm#helplibrary/APR_MyApps_ConfigPolicy.htm), and that you've enabled the policy.  Then when you run the scheduled tasks, you should see things happen.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

I probably shouldn't have attached the screenshot of the legacy reclamation settings as that would add confusion. I first tried running this process without making any changes to the reclamation settings and although the alerts were successfully created the email wasn't sent out, so then I tried again by adding the allow email notification settings in the legacy reclamation settings just in case that might help.

I've checked the Configure Reclamation Policy settings and everything looks valid - ARL, enabled checkbox, number of days etc. and the policy does work, as in it creates alerts and adds the machines to the WD_MyAppsAlert table successfully, it just doesn't send out the emails is the problem.

The scheduled tasks are also running as the service account and not as SYSTEM. The only change that has been made between now and the last time emails were successfully sent out is that we change the email address for Outgoing Email, I'm guessing this is likely the culprit at this point. Do you know of a good way to test that this email address will work?

Are any email notifications being sent?  Is it only the reclamation emails that aren't being sent?  If you log into the admin UI using an account that has a valid email address registered under Imported Users and Computers, then go to Site Management > Settings > Email, you'll see a hyperlink directly below the SMTP Relay Server textbox.  Click that and it will send a test email to your registered email address.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Ah now I'm seeing that the test email hyperlink isn't working and it also doesn't show en email address to actually send to, just like it is discussed here https://community.flexera.com/t5/App-Broker-Forum/Test-email-returns-error/m-p/105740#M245 how would I define an email address for the service account that I'm logged in as?

Also it doesn't look like any emails are going out because the email log is empty.

To get the link to show up properly, you'd have to add an email address to the service account.  The proper way to do that would be to have it added to the service account properties in AD.  For a quick test, you could manually set it in the WD_User table in the App Portal database.  But that will (or could) get wiped out when you run a data sync.  If none of the emails are working, then the email settings are the place to look.  Make sure the relay server is entered correctly and you have selected the correct port and encryption settings.  If your relay requires authentication, enter the appropriate user ID and password for the relay.

Thanks Jim. I was able to add my email address to the WD_Users table for the service account and tested the email again, and it worked. So it looks like it's only Reclamation notifications that emails aren't going out for. I will be opening a ticket to work on this.

CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The settings under the license reclamation tab for the catalog item have no bearing on My Apps.. The reclamation campaign settings for each policy under Compliance Management->My Apps determine if a notification will be sent out... The "App Portal - Send out My Apps Email Notifications" scheduled task is responsible for sending out the actual notifications.. It sounds as if you are invoking this, but the notifications are still not being sent.. As such, I can only assume that the devices in question (the targets for the alert) do not have a user associated with them. Query vUsercomputerMap to see if the target devices have users associated with them, and obliviously, that the users have email addresses. Take a look at the log file named MyAppsNotificationEMails.log (under the logs/MyApps folder). Typically, this would be the log to look at if notifications are not being sent.

One other thing..  You also need to enable notifications by selecting "Enable My Apps Email Notifications" under Settings->Flexera Integration, as seen below:

NotificationsSetting.png

Sorry, did not read far enough back in this post.. Still valid info, but it looks like you guys may have discussed some of this already.