cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESDWebService Issues

We are trying to connect App Portal to SCCM and keep getting an error that states "SCCM settings are not valid as App Portal could not communicate with its Web Service" when trying to test the connection.

I've checked these parameters and they appear to be correct. We have fully qualified server names. Upon further investigation, we found that ESDWebService in IIS keeps entering a stopped state. 

Are there any specific logs we can check that will provide any details beyond generic information?

The AppPortal Web Serivce doesn't need to be installed as the service account does it?

Are there any quirks with the ESDWebService that you can think of to check?

Also, there is a line in the App Portal Install for the Web Service that notes:

Note • The account used to install App Portal Web Service has been granted full administrative access to the site. See the App Portal Configuration Guide for information on configuring site security.

What is the context here? Will the install of the web service not complete properly if this is not the case?
(1) Solution

We don't have any documented requirements for this, so I would suggest you open a support case to have them confirm with Engineering and update the product documentation.  From my experience, I've never had to do anything special with IIS on the SCCM server, so have never really checked what roles/features were installed there.  I would say if it's working with the same configuration as the App Portal web server, go with that until you see something different published in the Installation Guide.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(9) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
I was not 100% sure from your description, but it sounds as if you are trying to specify an account other than the LocalSystem account for the ESDWebService application pool.. While this is not strictly necessary, changing the account to something other than LocalSystem is not often done. First, I might suggest that you try the LocalSystem account to see if this resolves the issue (assuming that you have changed it). If so, then we can look more closely at the account you have specified.. In addition, you might take a look at the log files in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal Web Service\logs (on the SCCM server) to see if they contain any errors or warnings.. Finally, you might look in the event viewer logs to see if there are any exceptions being logged.

Note that if you are able to successfully invoke http://localhost/esdwebservice/esdwebservice.asmx?op=Version in a browser, then it is likely that App Portal should be able to connect to the web service.

Charles

I would definitely check the event viewer for errors/warnings.  I recently saw a similar issue for the ESDService (not the ESDWebService) where the service account had lost its Log on as a Service and Log on as a Batch Job permissions due to a GPO that had been applied overnight.  We were only able to diagnose the issue by the error that was generated in the event log.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

The ESDWebService is being run as LocalSystem. There are no log files in the App Portal Web Service's logs folder. ESDWebService keeps entering a stopped state when the AppPool is used. If you start the AppPool, hit the ESDWebService URL, you get a 503 and the AppPool has stopped again. Which logs/events in particular should I be looking at?

I found a handful of WAS Warnings for ESDWebService with ExitCode c0000022

That is the same issue I was having with the ESDService that turned out to be permissions for the App Pool account.  The WAS (Windows Process Activation Service) warnings/errors in the event log provided the detail needed to diagnose the issue.  Can you provide the warning/error detail from the event log rather than just the exit code?  Is the Windows Process Activation Service running?  Is HTTP Activation enabled for .NET Framework 3.5 under Roles and Features for IIS?

The role for HTTP Activation was not enabled. Just out of curiosity, as i did not find it listed in install prerequisites for the App Portal Web Service, does the AppPortal Web Service install have the same Roles and Features requirements as the AppPortal Web Server? (As identified in this section)

At this point, since the role was not there during install, does the AppPortal Web Service need to be installed?

The attached error is an example of what we're seeing. The warnings have the same verbiage but contain the exit code (c0000022) and a process ID

So, we got the app pool working. The customer has HIPS. When we were troubleshooting this the other day, they had disabled the HIPS services and were still having issues. The changes we made were: Add all of the role/features that the web server requires, reinstall the App Portal Web Service, Disable HIPS. After this combination, the app pool was no longer stopping and i was able to complete the SCCM Deployment configurations.

I am still seeking an answer for the following question:

Just out of curiosity, as I did not find it listed in install prerequisites for the App Portal Web Service, does the AppPortal Web Service install have the same Roles and Features requirements as the AppPortal Web Server? (As identified in this section)

We don't have any documented requirements for this, so I would suggest you open a support case to have them confirm with Engineering and update the product documentation.  From my experience, I've never had to do anything special with IIS on the SCCM server, so have never really checked what roles/features were installed there.  I would say if it's working with the same configuration as the App Portal web server, go with that until you see something different published in the Installation Guide.

I could not find any reference to web service requirements in the install guide.. So you've enabled HTTP Activation, but you are still unable to hit http://localhost/esdwebservice/esdwebservice.asmx in a browser without the ApplicationPool stopping?

We have it working now. I'm just now trying to figure out what made it work. When HTTP Activation was enabled it was not working but I don't know that HIPS was disabled. Since the HTTP activation change, we added more roles, reinstalled the WebService and ensured HIPS was disabled.