cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESDWebService Compatibility with SCCM/MECM 2107

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Has anyone seen compatibility issues between App Portal and MECM 2107? We have upgraded to the newer version of MECM in our company lab and a customer lab and the ESDWebService no longer functions.

This the stack trace from the MECM server's IIS logs --

2021-10-07 16:14:04 10.1.1.117 POST /ESDWebService/ESDWebService.asmx - 80 <Service account> <app portal server IP> Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+4.0.30319.42000) - 405 0 1 1798 11

This is the stack trace from the App Portal ESDService log --

<![LOG[Error Encountered: Error checking SCCM Version from URL http://<sccmserver>  /ESDWebService/ESDWebService.asmx; Source: System.Web.Services; Message: The request failed with HTTP status 405: Method Not Allowed.; Inner Exception: ; Stack: at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at ESDService.sswebservice.ESDWebService.GetSccmVersion()
at ESDService.ESDService.OnStart(String[] args)]LOG]!><time="12:36:05.000+240" date="10-7-2021" component="ESD Service" context="" type="1" thread="0" file="ESD Service">

(1) Solution

In short, yes.  Since we do not explicitly document the roles required for the ESD Web Service, I generally recommend using the same roles/settings as those used for the App Broker site.  Let me know if you still have issues after doing so.

View solution in original post

(10) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I've not tried it, but I think that it is unlikely related to upgrading to 2107. If you hit HTTP://localhost/esdwebservice/esdwebservice.asmx in a browser are you able to invoke the function getSCCMVersion()? Do any of the other API's work, such as Version(), WhoAmI(), getPackages(), etc? 

P.S. Upgrading my environment now (from 2103) to see if I can reproduce.

Thanks @CharlesW Do you have a document with all the server roles/features and IIS settings (authentication, etc) that need to be set on the MECM server? I have not seen any document like that in the App Portal resources. I would like to confirm that a setting didnt get turned on or off during the MECM upgrade.

Got a http 404.17 when browsing locally to the ESDWebService

I can't imagine the upgrade to 2107 could screw up IIS. You reproduced this in two separate environments? What were you upgrading from? My environment is in the process of upgrading.. 

Upgraded SCCM from 2103 to 2107. In our company lab we are using App Portal 2018 R1 and 2019 R1. It is not working for either version. We are using App Portal 2018 R1 in the customer environment. The MECM upgrades were completed by two different teams so its not a situation where the same person made the same mistakes in both places. I was not involved in the MECM upgrade so i do not know if there are settings specific to IIS or server roles and features or something else that gets changed when it upgrades. Just trying to cover all my bases.

The customer intends to upgrade MECM in production soon and I don't want to lose functionality.

Ok, I got my environment upgraded to 2107. I don't see any issues after the upgrade. I take this as good news.. With that being said, I don't know what is triggering the problem in your environment.. As is a 404 error it seems as if this would have something to do with IIS, or possibly the .NET version installed on the machine. While 2107 does recommend .NET 4.8 I did not actually try this. Also, there were some options during the upgrade to 2107 which I did not enable.. Something to do with a cloud management gateway/InTune if memory serves. Do you know if this cloud management gateway was installed in your case? If so, do you happen to know if this has an IIS component to it? Let me know. We might want to jump on a quick call to compare your broken environment to my working environment to see if we can spot the problem. 

So it appears that somehow ASP.NET 3.5 got removed. We had ASP.NET 4.6 installed but not 3.5. Do you have a comprehensive list of all the settings that are needed on the MECM side? The customer migrated to a new server when they upgraded and don't have all the IIS settings installed but the App Portal documentation just says .Net Framework 2.0 and ASP.NET need to be installed.

EDIT:

Do these settings in this page apply to BOTH the ESD Service and the ESD Web Service?

https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2021r1/ig/Content/helplibrary/Enabling_Roles_and_Features_in_Windows_Server_2012_or_Later.htm#preparingtoinstall_2330745231_1088100

In short, yes.  Since we do not explicitly document the roles required for the ESD Web Service, I generally recommend using the same roles/settings as those used for the App Broker site.  Let me know if you still have issues after doing so.

Thanks @CharlesW It is resolved in our lab environment. Will be testing in the customer environment early next week. Thanks for the clarifications.