cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create approval flow based on question answer [App Portal 2019 R1 (14.0.1.0)]

App Portal 2019 R1 (14.0.1.0)

Is it possible to kick off a workflow based on different answer chosen from a drop down?

Example: 

• If the user selects answer A,  use workflow 1
  • If the user selects answer B,  use workflow 2
  • If the user selects answer C,  use workflow 3
(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, you can do this.. If you open your workflow, and go to the Conditions->Question Condition tab,  You you will have the option to select a question, and match that to a selected answer value.. The following shows the location:

QuestionCondition.png

Note that the target question of the condition must either be a Radio Button List, or a Dropdown List. 

As an alternative to having three separate workflows (which is perfectly acceptable), you can also have a single workflow, with three different approval groups.. You can conditionalize each approval level with a different condition.. Depends upon your needs, of course, but I wanted to point out that you can use a question condition on individual workflow levels within a workflow.

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, you can do this.. If you open your workflow, and go to the Conditions->Question Condition tab,  You you will have the option to select a question, and match that to a selected answer value.. The following shows the location:

QuestionCondition.png

Note that the target question of the condition must either be a Radio Button List, or a Dropdown List. 

As an alternative to having three separate workflows (which is perfectly acceptable), you can also have a single workflow, with three different approval groups.. You can conditionalize each approval level with a different condition.. Depends upon your needs, of course, but I wanted to point out that you can use a question condition on individual workflow levels within a workflow.

As long as the drop-down list is a static list rather than populated by a web service call, yes.  You have a couple options.  You can either have multiple workflows and put a question condition on each workflow, or if the bulk of the workflow is the same and you just want one level to change based on the question, you can have a single workflow and put question conditions on the individual steps within the workflow.

Oops, looks like Charlie already answered and did a better job (picture and all!).  At least we got the same answer.   🙂

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".