cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to Skip Workflow Step Based on Question Response from Previous Step's Approver

I have a workflow with a few different steps/levels.  On the first step, I have assigned a question template for the approver to fill out.  The question asks if this request requires manager approval.

On the next step which goes to the requester's manager, I have placed a question condition so that it will only be triggered if the previous approver answers 'Yes' to the manager approval question.

This doesn't seem to be working as expected.  The "manager" step is triggering regardless of whether the question is answered 'Yes' or 'No'.

Basically, if the first approver says that manager approval is not required, then the last 2 steps should not be triggered and the request should be completed.  If on the other hand they say manager approval is required, then it should go to the manager and then back to that team so that a software license can be purchased and assigned to the user.

I've tried changing the "Target" on the question config from "Requestor" to "Approver" as that seems to make more sense, however when I do that the question does not show up in the list of available questions on the step condition tab for some reason.

I have attached several screen shots showing the question configuration and step properties.  Please let me know if I'm missing something, or if you have any ideas how I could get this to work.

Workflow Steps.png

(1) Solution

Sincerest apologies for the slow reply.  I thought I had already responded, but clearly I didn't.

My only insight would be that it probably wasn't made to work that way. I've only ever used question conditions on questions that were presented to the requester, not the approver. I suspect the approval workflow is determined at the time the requester submits the request. At that point, the question hasn't been answered yet, so the condition can't be properly evaluated. The note about the question not showing up in the conditional approval tab when set to "Approver" tells me that it shouldn't work. I would suggest creating an Idea for this.
Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Sincerest apologies for the slow reply.  I thought I had already responded, but clearly I didn't.

My only insight would be that it probably wasn't made to work that way. I've only ever used question conditions on questions that were presented to the requester, not the approver. I suspect the approval workflow is determined at the time the requester submits the request. At that point, the question hasn't been answered yet, so the condition can't be properly evaluated. The note about the question not showing up in the conditional approval tab when set to "Approver" tells me that it shouldn't work. I would suggest creating an Idea for this.
Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".