cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppPortal application images

when importing an image to place with an icon in the AppPortal software catalog, why are we limited to JPG, PNG, GIF files?   Is there any plans from Flexera to change this ?

Typically, tools (such as SCCM) are able to extract the icon image from the application EXE. This would make the creation process easier.

Is everyone else creating their own image files ?

(1) Reply

I agree it would be great if we could extract the icon images from the EXE, but even if App Portal had the ability to extract images from ICO/EXE files, it doesn't have access to the package source in SCCM (plus App Portal supports several other deployment systems in addition to SCCM).  I generally find it isn't too hard to do a Google/Bing image search for "<InsertApplicationNameHere> icon PNG" and then download the image to the <AppPortalInstallationFolder>\web\backgrounds\packages folder on the server.  Since the App Portal UI automatically resizes images for display to 80x80 pixels, as long as you find an image with square dimensions that isn't too large (file size), you should be in good shape.  If you're using App Broker for ServiceNow, then you need to either locate images that are already the appropriate size, or you can use one of many image processing tools to batch process them all to a common size (since ServiceNow's UI doesn't automatically resize the images for you).

What I'd really like to see is the ability for App Portal/App Broker to pull things like title, description, category, icon, etc. from either the deployment system metadata or from something like Technopedia/Application Recognition Library.  I believe we'll start to see some of that in the SaaS version of App Broker when that's released; however, the images would probably carry some degree of difficulty due to things like publisher copyrights/redistribution rights.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".