cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Portal Web Service Technical Explanation

Is there any technical documentation that explains what the AppPortalWebService actually does? We have a customer with a secure environment that needs changes well documented and would like to provide evidence to them as to what this component actually does.

I've given them a higher level explanation as to the App Portal/Broker - SCCM interaction but they're looking for something a little more official.

(1) Solution

The API docs will not help much in this case, but if you were to look at the ESD Web Service API calls which are available, this would give you a very good idea as to what the ESD Web Service is used for... App Portal makes a few DB calls, but the vast majority of the work (and all changes to SCCM)  is done by calls made into the ESD Web Service.. On the SCCM server, hit the following page to view the API calls:

http://localhost/esdwebservice/esdwebservice.asmx

Most of these calls are done by making a WMI call into the sms provider.. I can provide a sample of the WMI calls if interested..

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

@dcopher 

You may want to refer to the official documentation that outlines both the Legacy API Web Methods and the App Portal Integration API Web Methods.

The App Broker REST API Reference is also described in detail if needed...

I may not have been clear on what I was asking for.

What I'm trying to find out is the function of the AppPortalWebServiceSetup_2018_R1.exe component. I know it required for integration between AppPortal and SCCM but I've failed to find any documentation outlining it's exact purpose. I can only make assumptions. 

The API docs will not help much in this case, but if you were to look at the ESD Web Service API calls which are available, this would give you a very good idea as to what the ESD Web Service is used for... App Portal makes a few DB calls, but the vast majority of the work (and all changes to SCCM)  is done by calls made into the ESD Web Service.. On the SCCM server, hit the following page to view the API calls:

http://localhost/esdwebservice/esdwebservice.asmx

Most of these calls are done by making a WMI call into the sms provider.. I can provide a sample of the WMI calls if interested..

As alluded to by Charles, the App Portal ESD Web Service component that gets installed on the SCCM site server translates SOAP web service calls into SCCM WMI provider calls.  While all other deployment systems that App Portal currently integrates with expose web services that App Portal can use to communicate, SCCM only provides a WMI provider.  As such, our web service exposes the necessary provider calls via web services, so we can have a consistent mechanism for communicating with deployment systems (note: this provides a benefit of only needing a single HTTP port open to communicate with the provider).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".