cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Broker License Check Success/Failure Flag in FNMS

When a catalog item is requested in App Broker that requires a license check with FNMS, is there a way to see in FNMS that the license check was performed and was successful or failed?

(1) Solution

As Pete replied earlier, there is no place in the FNMS UI where you can see the result of a license check from App Broker.  However, there are other places you can look on the FNMS server.  When you say "success/failure", are you talking about success/failure of the API call (e.g. HTTP 200 - OK / HTTP 401 - unauthorized), or are you talking about availability of an entitlement (e.g. true / false)?

If talking about success/failure of the API call, you might be able to derive that information from the IIS logs on the FNMS server.  The IIS logs should indicate the IP address of the calling party (App Broker server), the date/time stamp of the call (correlate with the request date/time on the App Broker server), and the URL of the call (compliance API license check URL), along with the HTTP status of the call (hopefully 200).

If talking about entitlement availability, you could look at the FNMSCompliance database in the SoftwareLicenseReservation view.  That view stores the reservation ID, software title ID, computer ID, and user ID, along with the reservation creation date.  You can join that with other views to get software title (name), computer name, and user name.  Similarly, if you're using the advanced license check, you can look at the SoftwareLicenseReservationNecessityCheckResult view to see if a request was exempt from needing a new entitlement due to second use rights, upgrade/downgrade rights, or device role.

Please note that you can also see the license check activity/result in the FNMSIntegration.log on the App Broker server (some information may also be repeated in the individual request log for the software request.  If you're not seeing the information you're looking for, you may need to enable verbose logging level in App Broker.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

Hi Adam,

There is no way to see in FNMS that the license check was performed or what the outcome was.

-Pete

As Pete replied earlier, there is no place in the FNMS UI where you can see the result of a license check from App Broker.  However, there are other places you can look on the FNMS server.  When you say "success/failure", are you talking about success/failure of the API call (e.g. HTTP 200 - OK / HTTP 401 - unauthorized), or are you talking about availability of an entitlement (e.g. true / false)?

If talking about success/failure of the API call, you might be able to derive that information from the IIS logs on the FNMS server.  The IIS logs should indicate the IP address of the calling party (App Broker server), the date/time stamp of the call (correlate with the request date/time on the App Broker server), and the URL of the call (compliance API license check URL), along with the HTTP status of the call (hopefully 200).

If talking about entitlement availability, you could look at the FNMSCompliance database in the SoftwareLicenseReservation view.  That view stores the reservation ID, software title ID, computer ID, and user ID, along with the reservation creation date.  You can join that with other views to get software title (name), computer name, and user name.  Similarly, if you're using the advanced license check, you can look at the SoftwareLicenseReservationNecessityCheckResult view to see if a request was exempt from needing a new entitlement due to second use rights, upgrade/downgrade rights, or device role.

Please note that you can also see the license check activity/result in the FNMSIntegration.log on the App Broker server (some information may also be repeated in the individual request log for the software request.  If you're not seeing the information you're looking for, you may need to enable verbose logging level in App Broker.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".