cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

AB integration with Mulesoft (Anypoint Platform)

We have Integrated App Broker (On-Prem) with ServiceNow (Cloud instance).

Anypoint (Mulesoft) is a lightweight, scalable runtime engine for APIs, integrations, and microservices. Deploy anywhere with our hybrid integration platform ā€” on-premises, on the cloud, or both.

We are using Anypoint Platform (Mulesoft) for integrating between AB and SNOW. 

It means all RITMS raised in ServiceNow shall route to Mulesoft and then AB.

Syncing of catalog items will also flow from App Broker to Mulesoft to ServiceNow

Please let me if App Broker provides flexibility to integrate with Mulesoft (Anypoint).

Attached screenshot for Proposed Integration we are trying to achieve -  

(1) Solution

That depends on how you intend to configure the integration.  If you want to have App Broker push the catalog to ServiceNow automatically and update RITM state and other such things that are part of the normal integration, then you would still fill in the settings on this page; but instead of pointing directly to ServiceNow, you would point it at Mulesoft.  Mulesoft would then have to exactly replicate the interfaces/responses that ServiceNow would normally provide so that App Broker doesn't know it's talking to Mulesoft.  Alternatively, you could leave this page blank and implement all logic within Mulesoft so that it pulls the catalog into ServiceNow and polls for status updates periodically.  The latter option is more work and probably not as efficient, but it may have some advantages by isolating all of the integration logic into one place where you have control over the behavior.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

One of our partners has implemented a similar integration between App Broker and ServiceNow (though not using Mulesoft).  As long as Mulesoft exposes the interfaces with App Broker in a way that is transparent to App Broker (i.e. same SOAP and REST interfaces with the same inputs/outputs), then it should be fine.  I won't say this is going to be trivial, because some API calls from App Broker to ServiceNow are hard-coded within the product code and aren't documented.  You may run into some errors along the way that you'll need to investigate in the Mulesoft/ServiceNow/App Broker logs and resolve.  For the catalog sync, the main thing is going to be exposing appropriate WSDL interfaces for App Broker to read.  But there will also be a couple separate calls to attach the variable set to each catalog item and to upload the icon file for each catalog item.  These calls are hard-coded in the product code.  Additionally, once a request is submitted from ServiceNow to App Broker, App Broker will make several calls back to ServiceNow to update the RITM state value, so you'll need to make sure the sc_req_item.do interface is also exposed through Mulesoft.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thank you Jim for clarification!

We need to estimate efforts for Changes required plus need to document all home work that we need to do from App Broker side.

As I understand, we need to keep ServiceNow Tab blank in App Broker  since we will integrate with Mulesoft now.

That depends on how you intend to configure the integration.  If you want to have App Broker push the catalog to ServiceNow automatically and update RITM state and other such things that are part of the normal integration, then you would still fill in the settings on this page; but instead of pointing directly to ServiceNow, you would point it at Mulesoft.  Mulesoft would then have to exactly replicate the interfaces/responses that ServiceNow would normally provide so that App Broker doesn't know it's talking to Mulesoft.  Alternatively, you could leave this page blank and implement all logic within Mulesoft so that it pulls the catalog into ServiceNow and polls for status updates periodically.  The latter option is more work and probably not as efficient, but it may have some advantages by isolating all of the integration logic into one place where you have control over the behavior.

Thanks Jim for clarification!

Basically, we don't want any touch point directly with ServiceNow because of security issues.

App Broker will only communicate to Mulesoft and Mulesoft to ServiceNow.

We had imported Flexera Software App Broker Update Set For ServiceNow (Madrid).xml in ServiceNow for integration purpose.

Plus we added below roles to our App Broker ServiceAccount...

Will there be same set of Roleset to be defined in Mulesoft?

Click Edit, and select the following from the collection, and add them to the Roles List.

ā€¢

x_fls_appportal.user

ā€¢

catalog_admin

ā€¢

mid_server

ā€¢

web_service_admin

ā€¢

pa_admin

ā€¢

import_transformer

Please note that both options I mentioned in my earlier post would give you the result you're looking for (App Broker only communicating with Mulesoft and only Mulesoft communicating with ServiceNow).  I don't know anything about Mulesoft, so I can't tell you what permissions App Broker will need to talk to Mulesoft.  But whatever account Mulesoft is using to talk to ServiceNow will need to have that same set of roles to update what needs to be updated in ServiceNow.