cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repackager and managed files

I've noticed that repackager doesn't do anything special for managed files.
it there anything that i should be doing?
do i need to splat the registry entries and get installshield to extract .net properties?
do i need to worry about the msiassembly tables?

looeee
(3) Replies
Here is a nice quick, concise thread on the subject...

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=108992&highlight=.net+properites
Yes but shouldn't all that be done by repackager?

That article recommends setting the .Net scan to be for "Properties and Dependencies", something that I would never ever do as it includes any dependencies as dreaded dynamic file links.
The thread reccomends Properties or Properties and Dependencies.

I don't look at the repackager as a magical wizard. I think of it more as a pretty good tool for snapshotting configuration changes and creating an initial baseline. Once I've done this I review it's output.

Now should it do it automatically? Perhaps... but lets say your snapshotting a very simple install program. ( xcopy_my_assemblies.bat with foo.exe and foo.dll ). This would install 2 private assemblies in INSTALLDIR. The repackager output would look like 2 components, 1 directory table, 2 files.

How would the repackager know they were assemblies from the snapshot. The bat file sure didn't do anything with it. Should it run some type of ILDASM reflection across all the components of everything it ever scans to determine if it's managed code? Is there something in the DLL's PE header that could be used to determine managed code?