cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need some help to repackage Tivoli

Hello all,

i'm just a newbie in the area of packaging.

I have to repackage Tivoli Workload Scheduler 8.3.
My customer gave me the sources which contains a SETUP.EXE (made with Installshield) and Tivoli Package Tivoli_TWS_LP.SPB.

I've used the repackager to snapshot the installation and selected SETUP.EXE as the program to be running.
SETUP.EXE asks me for giving those variables :
- hostname
- company
- user
- password
- master domain manager (its port used is configured by default and can be changed)

I must precise that the MSI should be installed with 3 different users belonging to 3 different Active Directory domains

Then the SETUP.EXE calls Tivoli_TWS_LP.SPB during the installation.

In the log file, i've seen that many JAVA Classes call use my given variables to set some values in other files such as startup.cmd

So what can be the best practises to do the MSI in those conditions? i'm blocked

All ideas are welcome 🙂

Thanks a lot
(6) Replies
jerome75 wrote:
Hello all,

My customer gave me the sources which contains a SETUP.EXE (made with Installshield) and Tivoli Package Tivoli_TWS_LP.SPB.

I've used the repackager to snapshot the installation and selected SETUP.EXE as the program to be running.
- hostname
- company
- user
- password
- master domain manager (its port used is configured by default and can be changed)

I must precise that the MSI should be installed with 3 different users belonging to 3 different Active Directory domains

In the log file, i've seen that many JAVA Classes call use my given variables to set some values in other files such as startup.cmd

So what can be the best practises to do the MSI in those conditions? i'm blocked

All ideas are welcome 🙂

Thanks a lot

May I look at the original setup and your ISM?

Reg, Henno
Hi

Is this file you need? please rename with ism extension

Thanks
Hi,

mayi know wht type of application you are using.i am working with installshield repackger and TPM.

Thanks,
Senthil.N
i use the repackager from AdminStudio 7.5
jerome75 wrote:
Hello all,

- hostname
- company
- user
- password

All ideas are welcome 🙂

Thanks a lot

Ok, I have a "couple" of things first which seem to stem from the fact that you are doing to much by hand...

1)
You installed/snapped the software to D:\, this seems odd and not very standard, I would have chosen [ProgramFilesFolder]Vendor\Product.
In your case C:\Program Files\IBM\Tivoli Workload Scheduler
This would also be INSTALLDIR, which now points at te root of [WindowsVolume].

2)
This product needs services but they are not mapped to the service install and control tables, my guess is that you forgot to choose that option in the repackager.

3)
There are still some uninstall components of the previous installer which should be removed.

4)
There are some msvcrt20 and 40 DLL's which should be applied via merge modules.

5)
There is some iPod stuff in RegistryData_HKLM, was that hooked up to the snap machine?

6)
There was also a Epson printer in RegistryData_HKLM, which should not be there.

7)
In the product properties you state that this is version 8.3, is that all? Most products have something like 8.3.0.0.
This way can distinct between small patches.

😎
Did you actually use the software; ie start it up, when making the snap?

9)
Which snap method did you use?
We still prefer classic before and after because it misses almost nothing.

reg, Henno
1)
My customer wants it into E:\IBM\Tivoli Workload Scheduler...i made a test with D:\

2)
3 Services are installed. One starts with LocalSystem account. Both others start with a domain account. The MSI should be allowed to install on 3 different domains..The name of services also contains the name of the domain.

3)
uninstall components are installed with the product...it contains some CMD to set the Tivoli environment.

4)
No, they're installed somewhere else

5)&6)
removed 🙂

7)
version 8.3 is added by me

Now the package works.
I had to use a Custom Action that uses a vbscript which set parameters to a CMD developped by IBM.
This CMD uses several parameters given by my VBS and calls an EXE, also from IBM, so that the services are installed and works.
It was the only way to install working services

If only one day, IBM could package clean softwares..:(