cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error -1530: The size specified for the disk is too small for the file

Not sure exactly what this error message means.  Could use a little help.  I'm building a rather large MSI,  MSI with external CAB files.  Can someone tell me how to resolve this error?

Thanks!

(6) Replies

From the error message, it sounds like the hard disk that you're building the MSI installer to does not have enough disk space to accommodate the final installer package. As you said, your installer is quite big and if the disk isn't large enough, then the build will fail.

Please make sure you have a sufficient amount of disk space available before building the installer and let us know if you continue to experience the issue.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

I suspected that may be the answer, but the repackager had already built 3 2GB cab files.  It was working on the 4th and there was at least 12GB of free space on the drive when this error occurred, so I didn't think that was the problem.  There was a lot of disk space free.

So I tried the build of the MSI on a different machine.  I get the same error and have over 27GB free space on the drive.  Confused.  Smiley Sad

Please try changing the "Media Format" to an option that fits a larger size setup file, ex: Network Image.

This property can be set through the Release Wizard in the 'Releases' view of InstallShield or from the 'Release Wizard' button in the ribbon control of InstallShield (see attached).

ReleaseWizard.PNG

I'm using repackager to create the MSI.  Does changing these settings affect repackager output?

One of the output files when repackaging to MSI would be InstallShield project file (.ism). Please launch this project file and look for 'Media Format' setting in the Releases view. 

I haven't, in my experience, had to repackage such a large setup file, so I haven't run into this issue. Changing the 'Media Format' should fix the issue. If not, then I would recommend reporting a support case for this issue for our team to look further into this case.