Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bde_ent.msm uninstalling problem

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have a Problem:
I linked Bde_ent.msm to the feature BDE in the 'Configure target system/merge modules' window; when I uninstall the product
that use this merge module the BDE also is uninstalled and I don't want this happen, I want that my bde isn't uninstalled
when also the last product that use BDE will be uninstalled.
How could I solve this big problem?? there isn't the possibility to create a feature that is permanent?

my best regards

Daniela Durelli
(2) Replies
I have the similar issue, but not with bde_ent but with crystal reports 11.5 r2 sp4. Were you able to find the answer
What happens with a merge module during the build process is its contents are inserted into the MSI as actual MSI components. They turn out like any other component in your MSI. However the merge module has the instructions on how to insert the new components and what properties they should have.

This instruction set or configuration information is the same for the component(s) inside the merge module as in any old MSI. Components in a merge module can be permanent, shared, set to never overwrite, have conditional statements attached to them, installation affinity, they have their own component code (GUID), etc….

So the issue is not really that the MSI uninstalls the merge module because it is only doing what the merge module says to do with its components. The problem is with the merge module.

This particular merge module, Bde_ent.msm, is a Borland merge module.

Here are a couple things you can do:

1) Direct edit the merge module and make all of its components permanent. Though this is not recommended it is one way to make it stick after the MSI uninstalls.

2) Rebuild the merge module the way you want form the raw files and reg entries.

3) Add the merge module to a new ‘empty’ MSI. Deploy the MSI on its own. Add the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property manager to the MSIs property table and set its value to 1. This hides the MSI from the ARP applet. When installed it will carry the merge module and deploy it but it will never be uninstalled unless you manually force it to uninstall using ‘msiexec /x {productCode}’ commandline.
This is because the MSI can’t be seen in the Add Remove programs applet. Although not permanent it will be pretty darn close.

4) Look at Borland’s web site for a merge module for this library that installs it permanently.

Remember also by default only files that go to the Windows System folders are marked permanent by default on most MSI/MSM editors.

I am sure there are a few other ways, but these are the first ones that come to my mind.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bill V.