cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrapping an EXE within an MSI

Hi All,

I am using Adminstudio 8.6 and have an EXE I would like to wrap within an MSI for deployment via AD. I have done some searching and can't find the method for doing this.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
(2) Replies
+1,
I am attempting the same thing.
pies8yourdog wrote:
Hi All,

I am using Adminstudio 8.6 and have an EXE I would like to wrap within an MSI for deployment via AD. I have done some searching and can't find the method for doing this.
Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

What do you plan to do with this exe File?

normally you can include the exe within the "ApplicationData --> Files" Section while you edit the package with Installshield..

after you deploy the msi package the exe will be copied to the client while the setups processes runs

but if this exe is called as a custom Action, (which will do a special job, perhaps deleting something or whatelse) you need to define this in the "Behavior and Logic --> Custom Action and Sequences" Section

and then you choose there the exe file to call

i often use custom actions to do some batched jobs (rebooting, deleting, copying files etc)

so i make a classic dos .bat file, convert this whit a third party tool to an .exe file and after that i call this exe as custom action so i have the full control on the MSI s which i repackaged...