cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Installer always starting up

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm using an application that auto-update its files by itself.

When I use the application's installation, everything works fine. But when I repackage it, everytime I run the applicaiton, Windows Installer pops a window that ask me for the msi. I give it the path and everything seems to work fine. But if I close the application and start it again, Windows Installer pops again.

Does anyone ever had that kind of problem?
(5) Replies
Looks like one of the component rules in MSi is broken. Whenever you launch an application WI checks to checks that the keypaths used by the components, for this package, exists. If it does not then WI tries to repair the components.

You can use MSISPY tool to determine where the problem is: For more information refer to the following post that explains how to use MSISPY.

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118329&perpage=5&pagenumber=2
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I extracted my msi file from setup.exe

I then used MsiSpy to check for errors and EVERY components are marked with a slashed red circle.

I did tests with a package that works fine and it's the same situation. Every components are marked. Where can I get information on how to make sure that my components have the right keypaths?

Thanks
Did you install the MSI package on a machine and then run MSISPY to look at the installed state of the MSI package or DId you view the MSI package with MSISPY?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Sorry.. my mistake.

I viewed the the MSI package without installing it first.

The software works very fine.
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, my package still pops a Windows Installer window. I install the software and run MSISPY and there are no conflict.

Do you have any idea?
Another way to find information about the missing component is through Machine's Logging policy. If you set this policy, then any time WI reparis a component that information gets logged into the log file. This log file gets created in the temp folder on the machine. After WI repairs the install, you can see the log file to find the culprits.

Pls. look at MSI help on how to set the Logging machine policy.

Regards
Rajesh Tammana
Installshield Software Corporation