cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win95 wont run Patch

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am having the same problem with Win9X desktops BUT the patch/Fix only installs on Windows 98 clients because it requires a full Installshield installation (which doesn't work on windows 95) - is there anyway to install the patch to a machine running only Repackager or a 2000 box that I have a shared connection to?

PS.. my network is Novell 5.1 so a share to a Novell server would be more convenient.
(2) Replies
Shanem98:

Thank you for your question regarding InstallShield AdminStudio version 3.5 and using the Repackager on Windows 95. As I understand the problem, you've installed the Repackager on your Windows 95 machine, but it's hanging and the hotfix described in article Q106817 won't install because the hotfix requires a full installation which, as you know, cannot be done on Windows 95.

It is not possible to install the hotfix on Windows 95 because a full installation was not performed. But, it is possible to install AdminStudio on your Windows 2000 machine, install the hotfix on that machine, then to run Repackager on your Windows 95 machine from your Windows 2000 shared directory. I did this earlier today. The only thing to watch out for is that you have to use the Single Step snapshot method for repackaging, because InstallMonitor is not supported under Windows 95.

I hope that this answers your question.
Also, once you've installed the hotfix on the AdminStudio full tools workstation (Windows 2000), there is an updated setup.exe in INSTALLDIR\repackager\setup.exe.

This setup will install just the repackager on another system if needed, and includes the update for the hotfix (once installed). You can run this setup on your 95 system to install the repackager.

The network mapping technique that Mark outlined is still the recommended method, as absolutely nothing is installed on the repackaging workstation, keeping your clean image clean as a whistle, but the choice is up to you.

Hope this helps,
Top Kudoed Authors