cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange error -1024 building repackager output

I have captured an install using repackager, and am now trying to build it into an msi. The following error is preventing it building...

ISDEV : error -1024: The source file "D:\Packages\SAPFE+ capture\WindowsFolder\Installer\[\{]6980A820-287D-4D56-998D-213D6CA7D36A[\}]Icon_sapshow.exe" for Icon Icon_Icon_sapshow.exe does not exist.

This file is not on the hard disk (d drive), in fact, the Installer directory is not there. I tried, copying the Installer\{6980A820-287D-4D56-998D-213D6CA7D36A} directory and it's files from the c: drive (where the original install took place) into the repackager's files where indicated, on the d: drive, but I still get the same error.

Also, when I look at the 'Files and Folders' list under the repackager program, this directory is not listed, but still building it comes up with this error.
(9) Replies
Manually edit inc file and delete entry when this file appears.
OMSTEF wrote:
Manually edit inc file and delete entry when this file appears.

It is not present in the inc file. This is probably also why the repackager doesn't show it in it's file list.

The great puzzle, is why does the build process try to use it...
Can you send me the Inc file and Irp file ?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am almost certain you are attempting to repackage an MSI setup, since these will typically install files to the Windows\Installer folder.

It is not recommended that you repackage MSI setups. Create a transform instead. If you need to extract the MSI from a setup.exe, see here ...

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106325
OMSTEF wrote:
Can you send me the Inc file and Irp file ?

Certainly. Sent to you via PM.

Edit
====

It didn't work, there's a size limit. How should I send them?
RayoIchhaporia wrote:
I am almost certain you are attempting to repackage an MSI setup, since these will typically install files to the Windows\Installer folder.

It is not recommended that you repackage MSI setups. Create a transform instead. If you need to extract the MSI from a setup.exe, see here ...

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q106325

While msi installs are involved, it is more complicated than that. This started as a combination of a an msi install and multiple manual procedures. It is huge, totally about 160MB. Since the initial packaging, but before it went into production for general use, 2 patches have been received. One was a single file which I replaced in the first package I had built.

The second was a large (70MB) msi. Now the install was already too slow (over our network) so I am trying to 'merge' this msi with my existing. What I did was to start a capture process on a clean machine, install my current msi, then apply the patch msi, then capture the lot together, The overall size remains at about 160MB as very few, if any, new files were added by the patch,

This is basically working. Despite this error, I seem to end up with an msi file that installs and seems to work. I lack some confidence in it though. 🙂

Lastly, I had done some searching around, and I see a problem other people have struck that is very similar - same error, except they were building an exe install file I think.
You can send it to my mail:
omstef1@yahoo.fr 🙂
Look at the Shorcut & Icon tables to see if this is referenced there.
Marwan wrote:
Look at the Shorcut & Icon tables to see if this is referenced there.

I had already discovered that it is the shortcuts in the menu that have been captured incorrectly like this. Altering them by hand in the IS editor to point to the correct executables etc will fix it.

Although something weird happens in the editor while trying to change them, I did eventually manage to get it to behave. It's hard to get the entries in the mode where you can double click on them and get it to pop up a dialog that allows you to choose a target file for the menu shortcut. Mostly they pop up a dialog where you can only choose a directory. Strange stuff.