cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowness in Workflow Manager

Hi all, I'm relatively new to workflow manager and have a question. When I try to make a change within workflow manager via the web interface to anything, project, package, customer, etc. it is almost always very slow. 9 out of 10 times it would be slow.

I can quantify slow by saying a minute to longer to make the update. On rare occasions, the same function can be completed within 3-5 seconds. I've checked utilization on the server as well as IIS and have seen nothing to explain the slowness or why is occasionally much faster.

Any thoughts from any of you who are more versed in workflow manager than I am??

Regards,

Rob
(3) Replies
Hi there,

It pains me to say this, but the slowness you are describing is more framed in the context of an ASP .Net application.

There are many reasons why WFM might be slow, and there are certainly a number of known issues with various versions of it that can contribute to this. In general, there are reasons why ASP .Net can slow down, and specific use cases where WFM contributes to this significantly. The general categories of this are:

--Poor external resource performance (file server, domain controller, database server)
--Poor memory usage, due to issues in database, or legacy application bugs
--Too many users hitting the database
--Other issues as of yet unidentified in the application

The first step is getting some information on what pages behave slowly:

--Is it the whole site or only certain pages?
--Do users in other locations experience the same slowness?
--Is the slowness present when browsing locally on the web server?
--Does w3wp.exe appear to be consuming huge quantities of memory?
--During the slowness, is the entire website slow, or just certain pages?
--If just certain pages, please provide which pages load slowly, and some information as to how slowly they load. If possible provide logfiles from the wwwroot\log folder that correspond to your testing.

Some other useful details:

--What version of WFM are you on?
--How many users are hitting the website when the slowness occurs?
--How many Application Requests are in the WFM database?

Generally, the above information will narrow down a few points for us to look at. If you need more immediate help, please don't hesitate to contact our support team, and they can walk through the process with you.
Cary R wrote:
Hi there,

It pains me to say this, but the slowness you are describing is more framed in the context of an ASP .Net application.

There are many reasons why WFM might be slow, and there are certainly a number of known issues with various versions of it that can contribute to this. In general, there are reasons why ASP .Net can slow down, and specific use cases where WFM contributes to this significantly. The general categories of this are:

--Poor external resource performance (file server, domain controller, database server)
--Poor memory usage, due to issues in database, or legacy application bugs
--Too many users hitting the database
--Other issues as of yet unidentified in the application

The first step is getting some information on what pages behave slowly:

--Is it the whole site or only certain pages?
--Do users in other locations experience the same slowness?
--Is the slowness present when browsing locally on the web server?
--Does w3wp.exe appear to be consuming huge quantities of memory?
--During the slowness, is the entire website slow, or just certain pages?
--If just certain pages, please provide which pages load slowly, and some information as to how slowly they load. If possible provide logfiles from the wwwroot\log folder that correspond to your testing.

Some other useful details:

--What version of WFM are you on?
--How many users are hitting the website when the slowness occurs?
--How many Application Requests are in the WFM database?

Generally, the above information will narrow down a few points for us to look at. If you need more immediate help, please don't hesitate to contact our support team, and they can walk through the process with you.

Thanks for this information. It will help us a lot regarding to the workflow process..
Hope that someone knows how to solve the slow responses of WFM?

I have the same experience in many environments where I use WFM...
but I cannot find a reason ...