cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackager created MSI extracts when ran as another user

Hi,

We are using adminstudio 2013 (standard) and running remote repackager on a windows 7 Service Pack 1 VM.

When I use remote repackager to repackage a setup application I then create a single compressed MSI which I deploy via MDT.

I can run the application once it has deployed fine as an administrator but then if I log on as a standard user the msi tries to run but fails as it can't find the original msi.

Why is the MSI trying to run again? What am I doing wrong when I repackage the software.

The best case scenario would be that I deploy the application to a PC and anyone can log on and the application works (obviously), without the MSI attempting to run.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James
(2) Replies
griff92 wrote:
We are using adminstudio 2013 (standard) and running remote repackager on a windows 7 Service Pack 1 VM.
When I use remote repackager to repackage a setup application I then create a single compressed MSI which I deploy via MDT.
I can run the application once it has deployed fine as an administrator but then if I log on as a standard user the msi tries to run but fails as it can't find the original msi.
Why is the MSI trying to run again? What am I doing wrong when I repackage the software.

Check the Event Viewer. The application event log will show detailed information about all MSI self-healing attempts. It will tell you exactly which file, folder, registry entry or ODBC data source was missing and caused self-healing to begin.

The best case scenario would be that I deploy the application to a PC and anyone can log on and the application works (obviously), without the MSI attempting to run.

You may need to edit the package using the InstallShield Editor, modifying it so that self-healing is not needed (remove any per-user Component key paths).
Hi Evan,

Thanks for the reply. That information is very useful, we will take a look at that.

Regards