cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackager/LegacyConverter not converting ini file

I'm trying to convert an IS6.x installation into an MSI installation using AdminStudio. Everything is OK (solveable problems :-)) except for one piece.

One .ini file loses lines through the conversion. A brief snippet containing 2 sections will demonstrate what I mean:

Original .ini file:

[NLP-WINWORD|9]
*Microsoft Word*=word9.grm
*- (Plain Text) - Microsoft Word*=word9.grm,wordmsg.grm
*- (HTML) - Microsoft Word*=word9.grm,wordmsg.grm
*- Message (Rich Text)*=word9.grm,wordmsgrichtext9.grm

[NLP-OUTLOOK|9]
*Microsoft Outlook*=outlook9.grm
*- Journal Entry*=outlkjnl9.grm
*- Contact*=outlkcon9.grm
*- Task*=outlktsk9.grm
*- Appointment*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Event*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Recurring Event*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Recurring Appointment*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Meeting*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Recurring Meeting*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Invited Event*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Recurring Meeting Event*=outlkapt9.grm
*- Message (Plain Text)*=outlkmsgplaintext9.grm
*- Message (HTML)*=outlkmsg9.grm
*- Message (Rich Text)*=outlkmsg9.grm
*|rctrl_notewnd32=outlknot.grm

Converted .ini file:

[NLP-WINWORD|9]
*- Message (Rich Text)*=word9.grm,wordmsgrichtext9.grm

[NLP-OUTLOOK|9]
*|rctrl_notewnd32=outlknot.grm

In other words, new data values replace old ones through this process and I end up with only the last line for each section. Note that this appears to only occur on this file, and I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that all of these lines start with asterisks.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tyler
(5) Replies
You could use the option in Developer that allows you to import ini-files.

Regards,

Rene
What version of AS you are using. I did verify such INI section starting with an '*' with Adminstudio 3.5. the problem could be somewhere else.
1. Thanks. I can fix this in developer (and may document this process), but I'm trying to set up a process that doesn't require me to do so 🙂

2. I'm using version 3.5 also.

The wierd thing is that this does almost everything I want -- until this. It's as if the problem is in the legacy converter section. When I'm finished installing my product and running repackager, the .ini file looks fine. But when I build the .ism file and open it up in developer, only the single data=value lines show up in the developer UI. I'm able to add new data=value lines and rebuild the project (which will avoid the problem), but that doesn't actually solve the problem.

Again, thanks much in advance.

Tyler
Can you email me your inc file at praveenl@installshield.com ? I 'll see if the INI section in the .inc file matches mine to reproduce the problem.
Thanks
1. Thanks. I can fix this in developer (and may document this process), but I'm trying to set up a process that doesn't require me to do so 🙂

2. I'm using version 3.5 also.

The wierd thing is that this does almost everything I want -- until this. It's as if the problem is in the legacy converter section. When I'm finished installing my product and running repackager, the .ini file looks fine. But when I build the .ism file and open it up in developer, only the single data=value lines show up in the developer UI. I'm able to add new data=value lines and rebuild the project (which will avoid the problem), but that doesn't actually solve the problem.

Again, thanks much in advance.

Tyler