cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RemoveFile table : Trying to delete a file(not in package)

So, I tried to place a file into the table, that is not a part of my package.

Attached is the screen shot of the table entries.
I found a similar thread online that said to choose a component that would get uninstalled...not sure how that works exactly, but I chose a main exe in the package.

The DLL to be removed, resides in the System32 folder of client machines.
I am wanting to simply delete this file upon installation of my MSI.

Thanks lads,
Rich
(5) Replies
Some notes here based on the screenshot:

--The DirProperty column will be either a property with the full path, or a key into the Directory Table. You could try using SystemFolder instead of SYSTEM32 (since i'm not sure how you have this set up in the property table).

--The component is used to trigger the removal. This can be configured to remove the file when the component is installed, or uninstalled, based on the value of the 'InstallMode' column.

For a reference document of this table, press 'F1' while you're in the Direct Editor, and it should bring up the reference doc we redistribute from MSDN.

Hope this helps.
I just ran the MSI, and it did not remove the dll.

ok, so I have checked that 'SystemFolder' equates to System32.

Is the Component ok?
Since this is a file that is not a part of the MSI, can I use an exe that's part of a component that is included in the MSI?

Rich
ps. I just assigned an abitrary value to 'FileKey'
Arbitrary value to filekey should be fine--this is just the primary key that uniquely identifies the record.

As far as using the component in your package, this should be fine, as long as it is marked for Installation (with an 'InstallMode' of 1) or the component is marked for Uninstallation (with an 'InstallMode' of 2).

Try generating a logfile, and link it on this thread--I'd like to see what's taking place, since it seems to me as though it should work fine:

HOWTO: Logging an MSI Installation:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q104807
here's the output.
and if it helps.. tables are attached.