cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish operation failed with following error message: No Detection Method found

Greetings,

Attempting to publish Microsoft.NET Core SDK 2.1.526 (x64) and receive the following error:

Publish operation failed with following error message: No Detection Method found

Are these common type errors?

(1) Solution

Hi @Ralph_Crowley -

I presume you're trying to publish an application to Configuration Manager (aka SCCM)?  If so, you'll need to make sure that the application in question has at least one Detection Method set as ConfigMgr requires this info in order for an Application to be deployable.

By default, AdminStudio can determine Detection Methods for MSI packages, which will have this information applied at time of import.  Most applications found in the Package Feed Module also contain this information when imported. AdminStudio attempted to gather this info for EXE installer packages too, but installers of this type vary and the information is not always attainable.

To check if an application is missing this info open the Application Manager:

1. Go to the Home tab and click on the application in your Catalog you want to check
  2. Click on Deployment Types tab on the right
  3. Click on Detection Method sub-tab below 
  4. If there isn't anything listed in the table below this tab, click on the Add Detection Method button above and to the left of this view under the Deployment Types tab

App Manager - EXE Missing Detection Method Info.png

The two most common Detection Methods are File System and Registry but you can add Windows Installer (if applicable) or Script methods for detection as well.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Hi @Ralph_Crowley -

I presume you're trying to publish an application to Configuration Manager (aka SCCM)?  If so, you'll need to make sure that the application in question has at least one Detection Method set as ConfigMgr requires this info in order for an Application to be deployable.

By default, AdminStudio can determine Detection Methods for MSI packages, which will have this information applied at time of import.  Most applications found in the Package Feed Module also contain this information when imported. AdminStudio attempted to gather this info for EXE installer packages too, but installers of this type vary and the information is not always attainable.

To check if an application is missing this info open the Application Manager:

1. Go to the Home tab and click on the application in your Catalog you want to check
  2. Click on Deployment Types tab on the right
  3. Click on Detection Method sub-tab below 
  4. If there isn't anything listed in the table below this tab, click on the Add Detection Method button above and to the left of this view under the Deployment Types tab

App Manager - EXE Missing Detection Method Info.png

The two most common Detection Methods are File System and Registry but you can add Windows Installer (if applicable) or Script methods for detection as well.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!