Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching Dilema

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Folks

First post so go gentle with me ok? 😄

Right... I have an MSI Package that needs an Upgrade (manual replacement of Executable, DLL and assorted System Files).

I dont have the .ISM or .INC files for the Original Package because it was created by a third party.

I would like to get a .MSP file as an end result. to patch over the original .MSI Install (already deployed to Users)

I can't seem to find any step by step or even overview process as to how to begin.

I attempted using the QuickPatch feature in Admin Studio, however there are too many files to warrant a QuickPatch method.

A colleague suggested I need to get to a state of having a and System Capture for me to be able to then compare the two states and create a Patch.MSP from the difference.

I tried to get an capture using the Original MSI and then my manual file replacements but Repackager didn't like me using a .MSI as my setup file.

Any help would be appreciated.
(2) Replies
The picture method would not work as a real patch since a patch is something which upgrades the existing version of product, meaning there would remain only one entry of the product in Add/Remove programs.

The best way for creating patch, in your case would be to use QuickPatch stratergy only. Now to include corresponding new files, registry entries etc, just drag and drop them from Original Setup to Files to patch and provide the location of the updated entries and files to it.. See the attached bitmap for more help.

Trust me this is the best solution if you are not looking for patching this product again and again..

Nio
Have you considered creating a transform to deploy the additional files? In theory, it is better to have the ISV create the patch for you.