Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office 97 installs every time a new user uses it

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi! Everybody

I have repackaged a few application by now - but some - primarily MS Office 97 acts up:

My Office 97 package installs nicely on my clients - but if I create another user on a client PC - the package wan't to install itself again. As I have quite a few PCs with multiple users, this could be a major problem.

Oddly enogh, other packages, such as SAP Gui and WinZip doesn't act this way!

Help and/or suggestions are welcome ....

The Office 97 package was created with isRepackager, from AdminStudio 3.5 - on a clean VMware machine.

-
Jagoop, Denmark
(7) Replies
Does it only happen once upon logon? It sounds like the self healing is trying to create CurrentUser registry settings for the new user.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
It happens whenever a new user tries to open a .doc .xls or just start winword.exe ....
If the self healing only happens once for each new user, it's setting up current user registry settings for that user. As long as the user retains the same profile, there should not be any problems.

If the self healing happens everytime for all users, everytime they launch an office app, indicating there are broken links in the MSI package. You may want to try using multiple steps or installmonitor. Maybe even try it on a clean workstation.
In addition, you can use MsiSpy found in MS Windows Installer SDK 1.2 to determine what component(s) are broken in your package. MsiSpy is not in Windows Installer SDK 2.0, you will need to hunt it down elsewhere.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
In the Updated.isr file I can see that a number of entries are added to HKEY_CURRENT_USER .... would it be possible to copy these to HKEY_USERS\.Default, in order to avoid the repeated setup for each user ? Is there another way to do this besides powering up notepad.exe ?
Yes.
1 Click the 'Advanced' button on the Conversion options panel in Legacy Conversion Wizard.
2 Check this option 'Make HKEY_CURRENT_USER entries available to all users....."
This will copy the approprate user context keys to HKEY_USERS\.Default
You can also look in the NT Event Log to find our the component code that caused the repair.