Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie help - Error 1402

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi there,

I am completely new to this product, so excuse me if I am being dumb here, but I am having problems creating an msi using the repackager tool.

I am trying to repackage Adobe Acrobat 5.0, but got the same error when packaing another app earlier. Essentially, I have been using the repackager wizerd to guide me through the Installation Monitoring process. All goes well throughout, and I end up with a nice new msi in the package creation folder. However, when I run this, it kicks off the installer as expected, and begines copying files to the hard disk as usual. The problem occurs toward the end end of the file copy process when the following error pops up:

"Error 1402. Could not open key:
HKEY_Current_User\\software\Adobe\Acrobat\5.0. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

The user that I am logged in with has full local administrative rights, so rights should not be an issue. I am running AdminStudio on a clean Windows 2000 build. To test the msi, I fist uninstalled the existing Adobe Acrobat installtion (created during the packaging process), rebooted, and then re-installed from the new msi.

Any advice anybody could give me would be very helpful.
(4) Replies
benpark:

Thank you for your question regarding AdminStudio and the 1402 error you've been receiving.

I noticed 2 "\"s between HKCU and Software, do you have something else that goes in there? In any event, the usual reason for this error is that, as a user, you don't have permission to write to that registry entry. Try using regedit and seeing if you can enter the item yourself, if you can't, then the MSI file can't either.

Hope this helps.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding. However, as I mentioned in the post, the account that is logged in is a local administrator and has full rights. However, a point of note is that the key in question is the Current_User key which, by default, the currently logged in user has full rights to.

As to your point about something being missing from the registry path statement, this is the text that I took directly from AdminStudio's error dialogue box, and I suspect that the double '\\' indicates a seperation from key hive and the keys themselves.

Can anybody be of further assistance?
benpark,

Sorry that the first response wasn't too helpful. I did some more digging, and found a couple of items which may help. The first is a suggestion to use a registry checking tool from Microsoft. Here is a link to a Knowledge Base article that discusses this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303089

The second is a thread in the InstallShield Community:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98618&highlight=error+1402

The issue described here relates to Windows 2000 machines as well as Windows NT and Windows 95/98 computers, so it may be useful as well.

Anyway, I hope this gets around the problem. Let me know how it turns out.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Mark,

Thanks for looking, but after having gone through both of these threads, it would appear that they are not relevant. The RegScan tool is not present in Windows 2000, and we do, by default, have a company name in a base Windows build.

I have raised a call with InstallShield support, but so far they have not been able to help.