cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Wise Package Studio to AdminStudio: Help Please

I was recently tasked with migrating from Wise Package Studio 8 to AdminStudio 2014 Professional and have the following questions below:

- Is there a way to convert or import Wise Project Templates to be used in AdminStudio's Process Assistant?

- Are there any gotcha's or things I should be aware of when using the AdminStudio Wise Data Conversion Tool?

- Does the AdminStudio Wise Data Conversion Tool import packages into the Catalog as well or do we need to bulk import the media from within the Wise Work Bench / Software Repository into the AdminStudio Software Catalog/Repository?

- Any issues doing a bulk import into the AdminStudio Catalog?

- Can Wise Scripts be used as-is in AdminStudio or will these need to be converted or can they be converted?

Overall, any insight you have with your experiences on migrating from Wise Package Studio to AdminStudio would be helpful. Trying to put the best game plan together so converting goes smoothly as possible.

Thank you in advance.
(1) Reply
denny82 wrote:
- Is there a way to convert or import Wise Project Templates to be used in AdminStudio's Process Assistant?

No, there is no utility for converting "Wise Processes" to AdminStudio "Process Assistant workflows".

denny82 wrote:
- Are there any gotcha's or things I should be aware of when using the AdminStudio Wise Data Conversion Tool?

The Wise to AdminStudio Migration Utility only works with AdminStudio 10.0 SP1. It has not been updated, so it is not ready for the database schema changes that have been introduced in AdminStudio 11.0, 11.5, 2013, 2013 R2 and 2014. You would need to install AdminStudio 10.0 SP1, use the Wise Migration Tool, and then upgrade to AdminStudio 2014.

denny82 wrote:
- Does the AdminStudio Wise Data Conversion Tool import packages into the Catalog as well or do we need to bulk import the media from within the Wise Work Bench / Software Repository into the AdminStudio Software Catalog/Repository?

The Wise to AdminStudio Migration Utility needs to be able to see the packages so that it can read metadata from .msi's and the like, but unless you enable the "Software Repository" feature of AdminStudio, it will not actually copy over the packages themselves.

denny82 wrote:
- Any issues doing a bulk import into the AdminStudio Catalog?

Bulk import seems to work well for me.

denny82 wrote:
- Can Wise Scripts be used as-is in AdminStudio or will these need to be converted or can they be converted?

AdminStudio doesn't understand WiseScript. There is no conversion. You can still use them (I still use little WiseScript utilities that I sometimes build into AdminStudio Process Assistant workflows). Flexera Software does control WiseScript now (We call it WiseScript 2013), so if you want to be able to continue editing existing WiseScripts or create new WiseScripts, ask your salesperson about WiseScript 2013.