cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSIX Editor - Dependencies

Hi all

On the MSIx package dependency feature on the AdminStudio MSIx Editor, please can someone explain the difference between a Package Dependency and a Main Package Dependency?

I've managed to get the Package Dependency feature to work, but if I put a Package Name, and Publisher into Main Package Dependency just it just errors with:

An optional package cannot contain /*[local-name()='Package']/*[local-name()='Capabilities']

Cheers

Keir

(1) Solution

Package Dependency and Main Package Dependency are two different types of dependencies an MSIX package can have.

Package Dependency is like a prerequisite package on which the MSIX is dependent on. These are generally framework packages like VC++ libs etc. When installed from Microsoft Store, the packages defined in Package Dependency get installed automatically before the actual MSIX package.

Main Package Dependency is applicable only for a Modification package. For a Modification package, its parent MSIX package should be added as a Main Package Dependency, so the Modification package can uniquely identify its parent MSIX package and apply the modifications defined in the package.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Package Dependency and Main Package Dependency are two different types of dependencies an MSIX package can have.

Package Dependency is like a prerequisite package on which the MSIX is dependent on. These are generally framework packages like VC++ libs etc. When installed from Microsoft Store, the packages defined in Package Dependency get installed automatically before the actual MSIX package.

Main Package Dependency is applicable only for a Modification package. For a Modification package, its parent MSIX package should be added as a Main Package Dependency, so the Modification package can uniquely identify its parent MSIX package and apply the modifications defined in the package.

I hope that helps.

Thats great, thanks ðŸ™‚

There isnt a user guide for this app is there by any chance? I've not been able to find one.

There is a user guide for MSIX Editor. Click on About MSIX Editor button in the ribbon and then click Help button on the dialog box to see the user guide:

Capture.JPG

ah, thats where it is, many thanks for the quick replies 🙂