cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installshield gets stuck while building MSI

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am packaging MS Outlook 2003 and Visio 2003.
There are 4500 and around 10000 registry entries for them.
When I am trying to build the MSI, INstallshield gets stuck at the point where Registry entries are loaded and doesn't proceed with the building.
Tried leaving it on for the whole night, but nothing happened.
What can be the cause of this problem and how can it be resolved?
(16) Replies
Again Office comes as an MSI, and I am pretty sure Visio does as well...create a transform rather than repackaging.
Hey Did you ever get or find a way to do this...because I have the same problem right now:confused:
Originally posted by DavidLock
Again Office comes as an MSI, and I am pretty sure Visio does as well...create a transform rather than repackaging.

How do you create a transform without creating an msi first:confused: 😮
Use the third-party MSI, ie the Office msi on the Office cd, as yer base.
thanks
How did you ever do this??
The way you do it is as follows:

You do an admin installation of Office to a network drive.

From memory you run Office's setup with a /a switch, or if you want just Outlook you run outlooks setup with the /a switch.

Once you have your administation installation on your network drive you run install the Office 2003 resource kit available from :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bb7cb10-a6e5-4334-8925-3bcf308cfbaf&DisplayLang=en

Once you have installed this you use the Custom Installation Wizard to create an .MST that you can use to install just outlook 2003 in silent mode with what ever options you require set!

Hope this helps,

Let me know if you need any help with this as I have already done this before for my company and it all works fine.

The only thing I can say is DO NOT REPACKAGE OUTLOOK2003!!!!!

Regards,
Paul
Thanks Paul,I'll try it tomorrow........I actually only wanted to package Visio 2003,but am sure it will be the same procedure.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally posted by Inabus
The way you do it is as follows:

You do an admin installation of Office to a network drive.

From memory you run Office's setup with a /a switch, or if you want just Outlook you run outlooks setup with the /a switch.

Once you have your administation installation on your network drive you run install the Office 2003 resource kit available from :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bb7cb10-a6e5-4334-8925-3bcf308cfbaf&DisplayLang=en

Once you have installed this you use the Custom Installation Wizard to create an .MST that you can use to install just outlook 2003 in silent mode with what ever options you require set!

Hope this helps,

Let me know if you need any help with this as I have already done this before for my company and it all works fine.

The only thing I can say is DO NOT REPACKAGE OUTLOOK2003!!!!!

Regards,
Paul
omookin,
The below process works with all the different components of Office as well as Office itself. You find the .MSI for Visio (VISSTD.MSI), run it with a /a switch and once you have the installation on your network drive you are then able to make an .MST for the component you require!

Regards,
Paul
By
Not applicable
I have a requirement to snapshot Visio 2003 (Yes I know it's wrong but the company insist...) and I experienced the same problem where it hangs on "Loading registry entries".

After a bit of playing I've found the problem registry values. These are saved in Standard.nic. Open this file in Notepad.exe and delete the following values:

(Note: I haven't tested if this breaks the app yet!!!)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\Current1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\Current2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\Current3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\Current4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration\{90510409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\Current5

You will then be able to build the ISM project file. As I say I have no idea if this breaks Visio!
I dont understand why your business is saying re-package the product. There are many reasons NOT to do this the least being the time it takes as well as patching of the product from Windows Update / SuS / WSuS / Patchlink etc etc.

Using the Office 2003 custom wizard is the recommended way to install the product, will give you an MSI and transform at the end configured the way you want.

Re-packaging of any office product is the biggest no no I can think off 🙂

Paul
By
Not applicable
I couldn't agree more! However, as a consultant joining a project mid-way through I have little choice but to adhere to their standards.
Well, in that case I feel sorry for you 🙂

Cant imagine having to snap an install of a Microsoft patch as it wont install onto your MSI, but wish you all the best hehe.

Cant be any more use on this tbh though as I have never snapped an install of Office.

Paul
By
Not applicable
Well after showing the guys here the result of the snap they have agreed that a trasform is the way forward!
Let there be light!! 🙂
By
Not applicable
Does anyone know an easy way of converting an uncompressed administrative install into a compressed MSI?