cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I package a legacy exe to be a Single Package msi. For user install?

Hi,

Can this be done and is it a task for Install Shield Editor?

I want to have the option to make an application to install in either per user/or machine mode.

Microsoft call is Single Package Authoring. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd408068(v=vs.85).aspx

How can I do this?

Thanks
(6) Replies
midimanpkg wrote:
Can this be done and is it a task for Install Shield Editor?

I want to have the option to make an application to install in either per user/or machine mode.

Microsoft call is Single Package Authoring. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd408068(v=vs.85).aspx

Yes. InstallShield Editor is where you can do this. The setting is located in the Installation Designer tab in the General Information view. The setting is named Show Per-User Option.
Evan Border wrote:
Yes. InstallShield Editor is where you can do this. The setting is located in the Installation Designer tab in the General Information view. The setting is named Show Per-User Option.

Thanks Evan. I will try to package something and see if I can get it to work.
Evan Border wrote:

Hi Evan,

Coming back to this point.

I'm starting to learn but fitting all the parts together is like working with a jigsaw.

This is what I have done so far.

1. Stared the Packager and selected the legacy exe.
2. Used the monitoring installation method.
3. Saved the project and output the program as an .msi.
4. Re-opened the project and selected the option to edit it using the IS editor.
5. Everything now becomes populated and I also have the option to select (yes) to install as per user.
6. I selected (Yes) to install as per user.

This is where I am stuck. Now I presume I have to output this to a new msi using IS Editor?

But I can't find the option to do this.

Thanks
midimanpkg wrote:

I am stuck. Now I presume I have to output this to a new msi using IS Editor?
But I can't find the option to do this.

Just click the Build button to build the MSI (or use the F7 shortcut key)
Evan Border wrote:
Just click the Build button to build the MSI (or use the F7 shortcut key)

Thanks I tired that and it kind of worked.

But I received a -7211 warning. (Building a compressed Network Image Setup.exe. All other build types are not allowed in the evaluation mode of InstallShield)

So I can't get to see the end result.

I will just have to accept that it works.
midimanpkg wrote:
Thanks I tired that and it kind of worked.
But I received a -7211 warning. (Building a compressed Network Image Setup.exe. All other build types are not allowed in the evaluation mode of InstallShield)
So I can't get to see the end result.
I will just have to accept that it works.

True. The eval will only allow the InstallShield Editor to build wrapped .MSI's inside of a setup.exe. Once you activate AdminStudio it will allow you to use any of the build types.