cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to resolve this questions plsss

I am having a msi, files location was appdata\local with active setup. i am upgrading to new version with location Programfiles(x86). -

when i install new version alone files falling under Programfiles(x86).

-when i am having old version in machine and i try to install new version files are falling under appdata\local itself.

Q. What i need to do for files will fall under pgmfiles(x86)? is there any custom action, or any table modification let me know?

(1) Solution

Hi @Swapnil1989 -

Let me summarize and make sure I understand the dilemma:

• App version 1 stored files in the user's App Data\Local folder (aka %LOCALAPPDATA%)
  • App version 2 stores its files under the Program Files(x86)\<App>
  • When updating machine with App v1 installed with App v2, it installs the file back to the old %LOCALAPPDATA% location instead of the new Program Files(x86)\<App>

Is this a correct summary? 

Applications that do not need administrator rights will installed under the current user's %LOCALAPPDATA% folder, as that folder is available to be written to by the user at any time.  To write to Program Files (x86) (or the 64-bit version Program Files), it requires elevation of user privilege's during install, as those folders are protected.

It sounds like App v1 didn't require administrative rights when it was installed, but App v2 either has changes that now requires administrative rights or were installed by a System account or in an already-elevated state.

You can run the App v2 in an elevated state and it should installed in Program Files(x86).

Let me know if that helps or if you have additional questions.  Thanks!

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Hi @Swapnil1989 -

Let me summarize and make sure I understand the dilemma:

• App version 1 stored files in the user's App Data\Local folder (aka %LOCALAPPDATA%)
  • App version 2 stores its files under the Program Files(x86)\<App>
  • When updating machine with App v1 installed with App v2, it installs the file back to the old %LOCALAPPDATA% location instead of the new Program Files(x86)\<App>

Is this a correct summary? 

Applications that do not need administrator rights will installed under the current user's %LOCALAPPDATA% folder, as that folder is available to be written to by the user at any time.  To write to Program Files (x86) (or the 64-bit version Program Files), it requires elevation of user privilege's during install, as those folders are protected.

It sounds like App v1 didn't require administrative rights when it was installed, but App v2 either has changes that now requires administrative rights or were installed by a System account or in an already-elevated state.

You can run the App v2 in an elevated state and it should installed in Program Files(x86).

Let me know if that helps or if you have additional questions.  Thanks!

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!