cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HKCU Confusion

Okay. I'm trying to customize an install for Calendar Creator. I've been editing the vendor MSI and I've run into a small problem. My customer wants the application to be loaded with some specific preferences, but it doesn't seem to work out.

The preferences file is located here:
HKCU\Software\Broderbund Software\Print\Calendar Creator\10.0\Preferences

I distribute this application through Tivoli, which installs everything as SYSTEM.

I've noticed that if I log onto the machine as an admin, everything is perfect. However, if I log on as a basic user then none of the preferences appear.

My MSI appears to have all of the files in it, but I may be missing a step somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I've been successful with this in the past, which is why its frustrating. I appreciate any assistance...

Thanks in advance.
(7) Replies
is the normal user roaming/local/mandatory profile?

Ian E
Take your registry data and associate it the EXE that needs it. Set the registry data for HKCU. Then make an "advertised shortcut". Then when each user logs onto the machine and clicks on the shortcut it will fire off maintenance mode and populate the data in the registry before launching the EXE.
Chris,
I have an advertised shortcut, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Take your registry data and associate it the EXE that needs it". Right now I have "Install if absent, uninstall if present" checked. Is there something else I should do with these keys???

Bare with me, I don't use this product very often.
I'm saying move the registry data to the component that has the exe as a key file and it's associated advertised shortcut.
Hi there,

I'm also interested in finding a solution to this problem.

Christopher Painter-

I've tried applying the changes you suggest. Ie. include the HKCU registry changes with the exe that is a key file and create an advertised shortcut.

but it had no effect. users double click on the shortcut and it runs the software without launching windows installer to update the hkcu registry keys.

Is there anything else that I should check.

Cheers

:confused:
I'm sorry, I described it wrong to you.

Try putting the registry value into its own component and set one of the registry values as the key. Also put that component in the same feature as your file component that has the advertised shortcut.
Thanks very much Christopher Painter

That worked a treat.

😄