Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Backup and Restore Actions...?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hey There,

Im New To The InstallShield Range and just got my copy of Admin Studio. Im new to the software but I was wondering, Is it possible to make some sort of custom script/action so that an install overwrites a specific file when installed and makes a backup of the original then when the user uninstalls the new file is deleted and the old file replaced. Is this possible? If so how would I go about doing it? I have AdminStudio 5.5
(2) Replies
- S.T.A.R,

Thank you for your question regarding AdminStudio.

The short answer is, yes, it is possible to create a custom action to make a file backup on install, then restore on uninstall.

As to how to go about it, I don't have any sample code that would show how this is done. But, if you know Visual Basic or VBScript, then it is relatively easy. Even if you don't know VB, the language is English-like, so it's made to be learned quickly.

The online documentation will be the best thing I can recommend on how to get started. Also, there is a book produced by InstallShield Press that would be helpful as well:

"Administrator’s Introduction to Application Repackaging and Software Deployment using Windows Installer"
by Bob Baker and Robert Dickau

The trick to this is to make sure everything is done at the right time. Custom actions can be inserted in many different locations in the installation process, so it might take some trial and error to make sure you do the backup before the other files are installed, and to restore after the files are removed.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
MHagen,

Thankyou very much I will look into VBscript.
Top Kudoed Authors