cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create MSI package

Hello guys,
My company bought a InstallShield 2008 - Express Edition and, I had create a project using InstallShield 2008 - Express Edition, build a C# project and, only an setup.exe has been created.
Could I create a unique/compressed msi file using this software version without setup.exe?
If this option is not available on this version, What can I do?
Thanks,
André Rezende
(3) Replies
To switch from a Setup.exe file to an .msi file:
[LIST=1]
  • In the Releases view, select the release that you want to build.
  • Click the Setup.exe tab.
  • For the Setup Launcher setting, select No.
  • Build your release.

Note that in some cases, a setup launcher (.exe file) is required. For example, if you want to install the .NET Framework as part of your installation, you must have a setup launcher file. The following help topic describes several scenarios that require a setup launcher:
    Creating a Setup Launcher

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
    Acresso Software

P.S. For future reference, this forum is for questions and problems regarding the acresso.com Web site. You'll want to post questions about InstallShield 2008 Express in the InstallShield 2008 Express forum:
    http://community.acresso.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225
  • Hi,

Is it possible to create an msi for the Vista platform using AdminStudio 7.5?
    I'm using the XP platform right now.

Thanks very much in advance,
    Lawrence
    Hello,

Yes it is possible but messy. You will not have the ability to run the Vista ICE validation Suite. It will also be messy in Vista terms too. It would be missing several things that Vista wants. For example... the manifest that tells Vista what execution level is required wouldn’t be there.

But Vista would most likely treat it as Requires Administrative level and run it. This also does not mean the product inside the MSI will work correctly only that the MSI would run.

If I come up with something more substantial I will post again but this is my first take.

Thank you,
    Bill V.
    Top Kudoed Authors