cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not write to the registry

Hai All,

After intsalling my setup package, I could able to run the application as a administrator. But when I login as a 'Guest' user, i could not run the application. The error thrown is 'Could not write to the registry'. The application is 'ODBC driver'. The error occured when I try to create a system DSN. Can I give write registry access to all the users.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Arun.P.S.
(3) Replies
This is possible with MSI, but fraught with little pitfalls. 2 things you'll need: Right click on the registry key when directly editing the MSI, or when editing the *.ism before building--this will allow you to configure permissions.

This, quite often, gives some problems, so the second thing you'll need is the documentation on the LockPermissions table (which is populated by the above view):

LockPermissions Table:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/lockpermissions_table.asp
Thanks for your reply Cary.

When I select Permission, a table view is shown with options for granting permissions. I want to enable this for all users using the application(Some users might not have admin priviledges). It is asking for domain and user. What should I give to enable write access to the registry for all users.

Thanks,
Arun.P.S.
I beleive if you leave the domain blank, and use 'Everyone' it should accomplish what you are trying to do. Per the LockPermissions documentation:

"When you use Windows Installer 2.0 or later, the common user names "Everyone" and "Administrators" may be entered in English and are mapped to well-known SIDs."

I beleive that this means that "Everyone" will always be referenced correctly, even when running on a non-enlish OS where the group name has been localized.