cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert VMWare Thin App package

I have been asked to update a very old package that was created with VMWare Thinapp. We do not have ThinApp anymore and no one can find the initial installation files. The package is now an MSI that seems to get the program files it needs to run from a .dat file. I need to update a file that I am assuming is in the .dat file and I have been unable to find a way to edit it. The installation folder has an .msi , .mst, and a .dat file and none have any usefull information that I am able to access. 

I would really appreciate it if someone had some insight into converting the package or editing it without having to get VMWare Thinapp again.

(2) Replies
cvirata
By Revenera Community Admin Revenera Community Admin
Revenera Community Admin

Hi @john_labombard,

It looks like your question is product specific. Is this for the AdminStudio product? If so, I can move your post to the appropriate product forum so you can get the assistance you need. Just let me know if I have the right product and I'll have that taken care of for you.

Regards,

Christine Virata-Stone

Flexera Community Team 

bkelly
By
Flexera Alumni

This is the right place to ask this question.

Can you offer more details? If you have the MSI package, is that not the installer? Maybe it was the captured cache MSI for uninstall only. As it is already a virtualized state, repackaging it won't be an option. I would suggest tracking down the original installer (it must be an in-house application and there is no vendor you can go to?). 

AdminStudio can create Thinapp packages, but I'm not aware of a "tool" that will take a virtual application and make it normal again - definitely an uncommon situation you find yourself in here.